New tank: Aptasia problem.

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Jrobeck506, Jul 26, 2015.

1. J

Jrobeck506 New Member Member

Alright guys I feel like an idiot. I thought I had done my research well and could trust this guy at the lfs. Wrong on both occasions. I recently set up a 10 gallon nano reef. I got everything ready, checked and rechecked parameters and decided to add some live rock rather than wait. Two days later I see what I take to be the beautiful beginnings of life until I realized that these were the invasive Aptasia anemones that I'd read about so many times yet never paid attention to because I was so focused on how to set up my first sw tank. Anyways long story short I only have live and and live rock in the tank. Should I just pull out the rock and let it dry out and start over? I've messed with de before but never salt. I just hate starting out on the wrong foot . Especially with all of my research. Tbh I have only counted 5 and only two that seem large at all. Kind of glad I didn't try to just scrape them off.... Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. OP
    OP
    J

Just for clarification, my question is should I start over now or fight it off. It will be three days before I can get to a lfs,

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! :)
    There's no need to start over. Aiptasia is just a pest. There's a few medications to get rid of Aiptasia, or you can add a peppermint shrimp to eat the Aiptasia. Peppermint shrimp are good at getting rid of Aiptasia. I used to have Aiptasia and after adding a pair of shrimp to my reef, problem solved.

4. OP
    OP
    J

Thank you &aquatic Brandon. I'll try that but I've read there are several species that are called peppermint shrimp? Is there a way to know for sure I'm buying the right ones?

5. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

If you only have a few something like Joe's Juice will work. Makes them melt instantly. If you want a more natural way you can try a peppermint shrimp, not 100% that they will eat them but some do.

Berghia Nudibranch will 100% eat them, but they will starve once the aptasia are gone unlike the shrimp. Don't use the Nudis AND the shrimp though, as the shrimp prey on the Nudis. I personally used Joe's Juice until I couldn't keep up any further and then used Berghia and haven't seen an aptasia in over a year.

6. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

No problem. I've never heard of different species called peppermint shrimp, although there is one species that is mistaken for a peppermint shrimp and that is a Camel shrimp. These guys look very alike and are sometimes mistakenly sold at pet stores as peppermint shrimp. Camel shrimp are not reef safe so they will pick and probably eat your corals.
    Here is the peppermint shrimp https://www.fishlore.com/profile-peppermintshrimp.html
    And camel shrimp

7. OP
    OP
    J

Thank you both. I will buy some peppermint shrimp a sap and let you know. I'm weary of chemicals and I've read that they can cause spread if administered improperly. Thank you both once again I'll keep you posted.

8. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

Lysmata wurdemanni is a complex, so you could get some "Lysmata wurdemanni" that don't eat aiptasia. It's like multiple species from the western Atlantic, some will eat the anemones and some won't touch them. So it's hard to be sure, hit or miss type of thing. Lysmata wurdemanni would be a blanket name. So while yes, you could say peppermints eat aiptasia, you may get some that just won't especially if another food source is present.

Just have to try it and see, can always take them back for store credit I would think.

The berghia nudibranch are a more expensive option and more difficult to rehome after, but I've never seen a better solution in person.

9. OP
    OP
    J

I will try to find the the sea slugs but I live 2 hours from a lfs and I don't think either of them have any sea slugs. But I will look for those too but I'm not a fan of the idea that once they eat all of the aiphasia then they starve if I'm not able to rehome them in time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice