40 Gallon Tank New Tank and Tank mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowiebruh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gday.
Just got my 40g tank up and running went out and got some fish. Im new to this hobbie. The shop sold me 5 cherry barbs with a single tiger barb
( dont ask me why ) and i also got 2 cory cats.

Is this a good mix of fish and i know i have a big tank so what are some nice tank mates to put in with these guys? and anyother tips would be a blessing

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
welcome to fl. This thread is likely to get moved.
Is there a way to take the fish back and cycle your tank fishless?
Also tiger barns are generally best in a species-only tank. They are super-aggressive.
Oh, and the link in my signature is for the nitrogen cycle - it's important to know.

Lowiebruh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Im going to go and try and take back this fish and let the tank cycle. That Link opened my eyes to so many different things that can go wrong in your tank. thanks
So TB need a big school understandable.
umm by anychance if i dont get the fish back to the store will they survive without the tank being cycled it was only cycled for about 38 hours befor the fish went in. I used tank water. And my filter still has bacteria in it from my last fish (oscar)
And i was also thinking of gouramis? Ive herd mixed facts about how well they do with tank mates

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There is a chance that your fish would survive going to a cycle, but it is rather hard on them and will weaken their immune system. If you just bought the fish, hopefully the store will understand and take them back. If they don't, you may want to get some Prime or some type of ammonia remover and be prepared to do lots of water changes to keep levels from spiking too high.

Here's a link to a Ammonia remover debate on these forums. I've never used ammonia remover, so someone who has will be able to help you better understand that.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/water-conditioners/27969-prime-other-ammonia-removers-debate.html

You could also get a bottle of Tetra SafeStart and speed up the cycling process. Most people that say it works say it takes care of the cycle in 7-10 days.

Lowiebruh

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The fish store didn't want to even get the fish back for free! they obviously saw me comming. i got the remover and put it in the tank. wish me luck. the fish seem to be fine for now :/ thankyou agen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom