Question New tank and new filter but with cycled water

Status
Not open for further replies.

houiej

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've ordered a 42 gallon tank that should be delivered in the coming week or next. As of now I have a 25 gallon tank that is currently cycling with an Eheim Classic 2213 filter.

I plan to get a Classic 2215 filter for the 42 gallon tank and then transfer the cycled water over from the 25 gallon. Would that in any way help the 42 gallon tank? To have a new filter (no bacteria in the media) but with cycled water?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Not really. Beneficial bacteria is not free-floating (well, not enough to make a difference), it adheres to tank and filter surfaces. When you do a water transfer, all you are really transferring is a bunch of toxins in the form of nitrates.

You are better off getting a little bit of the cycled media and sticking it into the new filter. You can also take some gravel from the old tank and put it into the new one. If you don't plan on using the same substrate, just put the new gravel in a pair of brand new (never seen soap) pantyhose and toss it in for a few weeks.

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with Meenu on the water. Moving just the water does little to aid the cycle. Since your 25 gallon is still cycling I would not suggest using any media or gravel from that tank. Generally speaking when you use seeded media or gravel you want it to come from a tank which has maintained a steady cycle for at least 3-4 months. By using media from a still cycling tank, the media will not be strongly seeded and you also run the risk of setting back the cycle in your 25. I would just cycle both tanks naturally.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Since your 25 gallon is still cycling I would not suggest using any media or gravel from that tank.
I totally missed that the 25 is still cycling. When OP mentioned that the water was "cycled", I assumed that would mean the tank was too, and I glossed over this.

So, yeah, scratch my idea of transferring media, and just go a fishless cycle.

OP
H

houiej

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have another question but don't want to start a new thread so I'm going to ask it here. My tanks are in my bedroom and when I close my windows and door, the air gets a little stale and I start to smell the unpleasantness from the tanks. I know carbon is supposed to help with that but any other tips on controlling the odor?

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What are you cycling the tank with? Fish, ammonia, shrimp. If the smell is from something you are adding to the tank I would wait it out. If you have fish in the tank and aren't adding anything else then I would try some carbon.

OP
H

houiej

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
For the tank that's cycling, I added a small piece of raw fish about 3 days ago and I'm seeing a bacteria bloom in the form of cloudy water. There isn't any odor from there though.

The tank that has an odor is a 17 gallon tank with 3 panda corys in there. The tank is cycled and running on an Eheim Liberty HOB filter. It has a carbon pad barely a week old. The water is clear for the most part and the fish waste is pretty efficiently sucked up by the filter. I'm not sure if the odor is coming from the HOB filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 68 67.3%

Top Bottom