New tank and kind of new to fish

1. EminyNay Initiate Member

So I've got a little experience with fish, if keeping a betta for a year counts. I've been wanting to try my hand at something new, so I bought a 25 gallon tank off my my neighbor at a garage sale, with a stand, filter, decorations, led light, and bubbler, for $42. Great deal so long as everything works. I still need to clean everything because it hasn't been used in a while and get everything set up.

I'm looking for some ideas and advice on what to put in it. I was thinking maybe some cory catfish and maybe something else, like some tetras or something, but I'm worried about the size. I don't know if I could put two schools of fish in there. I know they're both schooling fish.

I also thought about getting a sorority of betas but I don't know if I would be ready for that because it sounds difficult because they're territorial.

I would also maybe like to do some live plants, but I don't know if I have the money to go that far. The tank came with gravel and I have a gravel siphon from my betta's tank. I don't know if I would need sand or not or how to clean sand.

I would love some advice and to hear some other ideas or opinions. I have around $200 to spend on fish and food and could probably save up some more within the next few weeks.

2. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

I'd say 25 is enough for a school of tetras and a school of coriesanda smaller centerpiece fish like a dwarf gourami or a German or Bolivian ram. Cories prefer sand but for plants either is fine.

3. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

You can do low light plants to start loke java fern and marimo