New tank and kind of new to fish

1. EminyNay

EminyNay Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I've got a little experience with fish, if keeping a betta for a year counts. I've been wanting to try my hand at something new, so I bought a 25 gallon tank off my my neighbor at a garage sale, with a stand, filter, decorations, led light, and bubbler, for $42. Great deal so long as everything works. I still need to clean everything because it hasn't been used in a while and get everything set up.

I'm looking for some ideas and advice on what to put in it. I was thinking maybe some cory catfish and maybe something else, like some tetras or something, but I'm worried about the size. I don't know if I could put two schools of fish in there. I know they're both schooling fish.

I also thought about getting a sorority of betas but I don't know if I would be ready for that because it sounds difficult because they're territorial.

I would also maybe like to do some live plants, but I don't know if I have the money to go that far. The tank came with gravel and I have a gravel siphon from my betta's tank. I don't know if I would need sand or not or how to clean sand.

I would love some advice and to hear some other ideas or opinions. I have around $200 to spend on fish and food and could probably save up some more within the next few weeks.

2. superbutterfly12

superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I'd say 25 is enough for a school of tetras and a school of coriesanda smaller centerpiece fish like a dwarf gourami or a German or Bolivian ram. Cories prefer sand but for plants either is fine.

3. superbutterfly12

superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +7