New tank and a foul smell?

sbrown64

Reaction score
Hello all.

I set up a new tank on Saturday, it is 90 litres and is fitted with a fluval 2 internal filter which doesnt have a space for any carbon, unless youtake out the filter wool! I have noticed today that when i lift the lid up to put a bit of food into the tank(fishless cycle) their is a strong foul smell coming from the water. Is the normal? or am i doing something wrong?

Regards

Stephen

JMatt1983

Valued Member
Reaction score
if you can find a cure for that smell, let everyone on here know lol its perfetly normal, you've got nothing to worry about there, but unfortunately, a fluval 2 is only rated for 105GPH (Gallons Per Hour) since your tank is approximatly 24 gallons you need a filter that will move at least 240GPH

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Your filter should pump at least 10 times the volume of your tank per 1 hour. You don't really need the carbon inside the filter. But remember to perform regular weekly water changes. With regular water changes, you shouldn't have any foul smell. I change water weekly in my tanks, and I don't use any carbon in my filters - and my tanks don't smell bad.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom