New Tank Algae Bloom

Aquascapking

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Help! I have a new 20 long that I was going to do my first true carpeted tank with Dwarf hair grass going. I do have CO2 injected that I have even been leaving on when the light is off and I’m still having issues with my algae. I understand that there are not enough plants to take up the nutrients right now but is there anything I can do beyond leaving the light off more to help take care of the algae? I don’t want to leave the light off too much as I am unsure on how it would affect the growth of the new plants are there any other solutions?

Thanks!

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Help! I have a new 20 long that I was going to do my first true carpeted tank with Dwarf hair grass going. I do have CO2 injected that I have even been leaving on when the light is off and I’m still having issues with my algae. I understand that there are not enough plants to take up the nutrients right now but is there anything I can do beyond leaving the light off more to help take care of the algae? I don’t want to leave the light off too much as I am unsure on how it would affect the growth of the new plants are there any other solutions?

Thanks!
Hello Aqua...

If you have algae problems, you have too much dissolved nutrients in the water. Apparently, the plants you have aren't using all the food and algae is taking advantage of the leftovers. You need to remove some of the nutrients. Large, weekly water changes of at least half the tank volume are needed. A 20 G long tank in short top to bottom, so moderate light should be enough and you won't need to add the CO2. The plants should do fine with the fertilizer the fish produce or you can use root tabs occasionally to ensure the grass is getting enough to eat. I wouldn't mess with the lighting. Aquarium plants are generally tropical and used to long hours of daylight. If you can, put the lights on a timer. 12 hours on and 12 off is the standard. If you reduce the nutrients the algae will be controlled.

Old

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom