40 Gallon Tank New tank after many mistakes, am i follow the right path

Connorho

Hello all,

I made alots mistakes not knowing this forum before added fish my own. They all went to heaven so quick. changed water after few fish died of the first 2 days.
I killed all beneficial bacteria by not turn off the u.v. light.

I need help what to do next. Finally the api test kit arrived.
The test results are:
Ph 6.8
Amonia 0. Ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm

The water still clear with live plants ( not alots though these were grown from seeds and few from petsmart)and slime from driftwood. The plants are doing great.
I just added 4 bottle cups beneficial bacteria and little of fishflakes and also turn off u.v. light.
I had this new 36 gallons tanks 2 months now.
I have to be patient as your guys told me not to rush to add any fish until my tank full cycle.

Can your please let me know what to do next. Am I missing anything else ?

Thank you very much for reply this post.

WRWAquarium

Hi

So no fish in the tank at the moment right, a fish less cycle.

How long have you been adding fish flakes? Your water test suggests the tank hasn't started to cycle yet.

You should have ammonia and or nitrites/nitrates during cycling. Once cycled the tank will convert all ammonia to nitrate every day so you will have a reading for nitrate but 0 for ammonia/nitrite.

Jerome O'Neil

First step: Don't worry. Every single person on this forum has a similar story.

Connorho

Hi

How long have you been adding fish flakes? Your water test suggests the tank hasn't started to cycle yet.

You should have ammonia and or nitrites/nitrates during cycling. Once cycled the tank will convert all ammonia to nitrate every day so you will have a reading for nitrate but 0 for ammonia/nitrite.

Hi

HI WRWA,
Thank you for replying. There are no fish at this moment. I killed them all first time set up the tank like 2 myths ago. Didnt know all so complex and details and patient. Feel like a failure big time. I dont think my tank cycle ever.
I had some plants from petsmart to started with, and some germinated from seeds, the plants are doing ok not healthy like it should after read up about install co2 diffuser.
Another problem is didnt know to add ammonia to help for cycle and I only added beneficial bacteria but not feeding them.
But now I started added 4 cup of the bottle bb to start with and after fish flake. ( but tbh i m not sure bb at petsmart is legit since it wasn't keep refrigerated like I read somewhere)
I intend to put heater to raise temp but my aerated oxygen pump is on its way..not like 2 to 3 weeks. Also turned off the led light after added bb in the tank. Affraid my plants not doing well ? Should I add co2 diffuser to help the plants? So many questions and got confused and overwhelmed.
Thanks for any advise you can teach me.
I saw Richard7467 about how to cycle fishless tanks very details and insight. I still have some questions after read his article about my mixed up tank setting up.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CarrieF
Replies
Views
Myyyman
Replies
Views
RonP
Replies
Views