New Tank Advice

Sarcastic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm hatching a new aquarium idea, and I'd like some critique from people with experience with Discus.

Here's the rough thoughts.

70 Gallon Aquarium.
Lightly planted with a couple of Amazon Broadleaf Swords and Java Fern (Lace Windelov)
Gravel substrate with large rocks and a couple stacks of slate.
Definitely want some driftwood, perhaps one large piece.

Cycled with Zebra Danios from my 30 Gallon - and then I'll put them back in the other tank before adding the other fish.
8 Discus (Royal Blues)
7 Corys (mixed set)

Should I worry about my Danios in switching them to an uncycled tank after they have lived in a cycled one for over 6 months?

Is this tank too overpopulated? Note: I can concretely commit to 30% water changes once a week, and on some weeks more.

I've read that the Discus and the Corys should get along fine, but does anyone have experience about this?

ewolfe315

Valued Member
Reaction score
All I can say is dont add to much gravel. I have 6 discus and they need at least 20 to 50 % water changes every other day sometimes daily. There very sensitive to water conditions.

The reason for not having to much gravel in the tank is, it is easier to clean as there main food is beef heart. And trust me on this,after feeding them beef heart it becomes quite messy and they require pristine water conditions. I usually feed them an assortment of food, such as flakes,frozen blood worm,frozen brine shrimp and frozen beef hearts and algae wafers during the week.

As for over populated, I would say no but of course it depends on how big your discus are now. I know of discus lovers that have 6 in a 30 gallon tank and so far have'nt expierieced any problems.

Now mine are in a 120 gallon tank and are still young and they also have 10 angelfish as room mates along with a pleco and 4 clownfish. Another reason for me to some how get a 150 gallon or larger tank soon just for the Discus.

I dont know much about the Corys but the calmest fish I have had are Discus and they get along with everything.

John

Radcliffe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I am but a newbie, but the idea of trying to catch danios in a 70 Gallon Aquarium? ha ha ha, no way I could do it!

I spent a long time trying to net them from my 29 gallon tonight, and only got half of them, sheesh!

Any netting tips, if you have managed it before?

Sarcastic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the thoughts, ewolfe315, I'll keep those in mind. I've not yet bought either the tank or the fish - the idea is just coming about and likely won't come to fruition until later this year. I'm hinting at the girlfriend and the family that this would make a great birthday gift.

I wish I could get a bigger tank than that but the apartment can't handle too much - I've already a 30 gallon freshwater, a 10 gallon planted tank in case I need a quarantine tank, and 6 bonsai trees. Adding any more homework than a 70G tank will be too much to do well.

Radcliffe - you're totally right. Danios are a pain at netting time. Once every 3 or 4 months I break down my tank very thoroughly and on one occasion two of the Danios burrowed into the substrate when I wasn't looking and I pinned the little spastics under a large rock. They were there for a few hours before I noticed - luckily they healed from the ordeal. Now I catch each and every one when I do this. It helps if you have 2 nets of the same size, and capture them between the nets. 

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Or you could just come from underneath them and when getting them into position, just lift the net as fast as you can. That is how I got 4 danios to put in my 28 gallon to get to cycle.
Tom

gmann21193

Valued Member
Reaction score
i chase them to the other side of the tank with a small net and place a larger one near the subtrate and when they swim over i just lift the big one up. Thats how I net my minnows in less then 3 min. ;D

MelissaF672

Reaction score
Radcliffe said:
Hmm, I am but a newbie, but the idea of trying to catch danios in a 70 Gallon Aquarium? ha ha ha, no way I could do it!

I spent a long time trying to net them from my 29 gallon tonight, and only got half of them, sheesh!

Any netting tips, if you have managed it before?
hehehe i was faced with catching 6 Zebra Danios from my 60 gallon not too long ago.
At a local fish store i bought some plastic mesh (not sure what it's normally used for... but they had it)
I cut it to fit inside the tank to where i could block them from swimming past it and slowly closed in on them to one side of the tank.
Then i just netted them... CAKE!
Caught them pretty easy that way

TheEssigs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys... I found this info for ya ... I hope it helps...

"Although they are a peaceful, schooling species, discus are best kept in a species tank because their temperature needs are much higher than most other species can stand. However, they will also do quite well when kept with other peaceful, heat-loving species, such as cardinal tetras, clown loaches and T-bone rasboras. They should not be kept with angelfish, which are prone to parasitic infestations/diseases that may be fatal to the discus.

Discus should be housed in large, tall tanks (i.e., 35 gallons or more) with a soft substrate and a layer of floating plants to produce subdued lighting. An occasional rock can be provided as long as it does not obstruct their large, open swimming area in the center of the tank. Strict attention must be paid to water quality. Frequent partial water changes are a must."

MelissaF672

Reaction score
Perfecto! Exactamundo! BELICIMO! <--- i forget what that means.....

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom