New Tank Advice On Weekly And Monthly Routine

1. F

Fishilicious New Member Member

hello
    I have a fairly new aquarium with 5 guppies and four Otos. It’s 17 gallons and has a filter, heater, live plant on a log and rocks. I’d like to know how much water to change weekly, how many times and amount to feed the fish and also about siphoning gravel and cleaning rocks ect. There is so much information on line all saying different things.

Thank you

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

Do water changes weekly, about 40-50 per cent with that stock. Wash the filter in aquarium water every 3-4 weeks.

3. 8

83jase Valued Member Member

As for gravel cleaning only do 1/3 at a time with deep cleaning and just run across lightly of the remainder get any surface food or poop up rock shouldnt need cleaning if everything is run into right depends on the rock can be house to bb

4. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

I have sand substrate & vacuum the entire surface every week when I do water changes. I do 40-50% water changes weekly.
    Do you have a water test kit? That will guide you. You want to maintain 0 ammonia & nitrites. Most people here aim for keeping nitrates under 40, some aim for under 20.
    So test your water before your water change (or the day before) & let that guide you. If your nitrates are at 20, you can do a 50% change, but if they are at 5-10 maybe only a 25% change. Personally I believe there are many benefits to fresh water that we don’t understand, so I do 50% changes weekly.

5. OP
    OP
    F

Fishilicious New Member Member

So If i did 50 percent every week and vaccumed every week that would be OK? Do i clean the rocks and plant or do the Otos? How often and how do I clean the filter?

On another note my daughter wants some neon tetras to go with our 4 Otos and 5 guppies. Do they get on well? Are they difficult to keep?

Will I be fully stocked?

6. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

Neons don't quite make the cut; they need 20 gallons.

7. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

Good sched, and swish the filter biweekly or more until you have a feel for how mucky it gets.
    Then make sure you've read this:
    READ FIRST: Freshwater Beginner Important Topics

Good luck