New Tank 2 Dead:(

KmwG

Reaction score
Hi, i moved my guppies and corys to a new tank and 2 have died
  1. I had the new tank up and running for a week (its a 2nd hand tank but i cleaned it out well) anyway i had it up and running for a week with the filter from my old tank and a small sponge filter from my old tank in there aswl so plenty of media from old tank in there and i moved them 4 days ago now i have found an adult guppy dead (its in between a tiny gap where the end of my foam rock background dosnt quite reach the tank wall so maybe this one got stuck there?) and theres also a dead young guppy about 7weeks old, im hopeing not to loose any more as i moved them to give them a better home and now 2 have died, i have 10 adult guppies and 12 young ones that are about 7 weeks old and 3 corydoras. I got the water tested before moving them and it was all ok but im kind of worried that i maybe should of moved them a few at a time over a week or 2 but i moved them all over the space of 2 days, any advice appreciated

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Did you feed the tank an ammonia source while you let it set up? What's you're ammonia/nitrite/nitrate at?

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi there! I am sorry for your loss.
First off, what are the parameters in your new tank? It sounds like if you mkved the filter a week before moving the fish, the bacteria mjght have all starved and died. Also just double checking... did you use water conditioner?

KmwG

Reaction score
I used the tap safe stuff when first filling the tank and nutrafin cycle stuff, and i took a sample of the water to my local pet place where they test the water for free and they said it was all fine and i could move the fish that day i dont actually know the levels myself as i usually get my water tested now and again at the pet shop, i am going to get a testing kit asap
So did i add the filter too long before the fish and the bacteria died off as there was too long in between?

I have just checked my fish this morning and the baby guppy that looked as if he was dead is ok, there is a gap at one end of my foam rock background on one side where it does not quite meet the glass, its probably 3 or 4 millimetres wide, this is where the adult guppy was found dead looking like it had got stuck? Or maybe went there to die (do they do that?) anyway the baby was in the same gap area but at the top i thought it was dead or dieing but it is now out and swimming around, it came out when i fed them this morning, was it hiding? Or does it know the mum fish is dead down there? I am not sure how im going to get the dead one out, should i try and fill that gap with something

Lunnietic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You should use a net to remove the dead fish. It will start to rot and cause other issues if you don't.

KmwG

Reaction score
Ok thanks im gona need some sort of ling thin stick to get out then net it, as its in a gap

Lunnietic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Have you tried moving the decorate away and creating a bigger gap that fish can't get stuck in?

KmwG

Reaction score
No its a foam rock background and is attached im bitbsure i can move it, the little ones go in there and can turn around and swim out and the big onea cant fit in there but ine obviously sone how did, also a lot of them seem to be staying near the top of the water all bunched together really closely, im worried for them ill attach a pic may do a 10% water change

Meant to say im unsure i can move it

Stupid phone changes words

All apart from about 3 are bunched together up near the top, corydoras seem fine hanging around the bottom

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom