New Tangerine

1. KO_ Member Member

So in my aquarium ventures my wife decided she wanted to get a "Lobster". She decided on a Tangerine and two days ago we got it. It is in a 20 gallon long tank by itself. Filter and Bubbles (obviously), no heater. No plants just hardscape with plenty of rocks for climbing and pebbles for moving. Substrate is pool sand. This morning we woke to see it has molted, pretty cool to see. We are feeding it a variety of algae and shrimp wafers and also crab food.

A couple of questions.

1. No heater right? the room may get a little chilly in the winter.

2. Cuddle bone? We were told the crab food has enough calcium.

3. Do we leave the molt in the tank? At what point do we remove it?

4. Not sure of the gender.
    OfZ0wEw.jpg

2. Cowfish928 Member Member

Hello! It is hard for me to tell what sex your Crayfish is. Here is a link for you that should aid you in knowing the gender! magickcanoe.com/blog/2007/03/13/a-crayfish-primer/

Having a heater for your Crayfish would be better, as warmer water helps them grow faster, colder water slows down the process. Crayfish will eat the molt most of the time, it has calcium which really boosts the new shell growth! If your Crayfish isnt really into the molted shell, you can take it out and toss it, but I would definitely keep it there because odds are, the Crayfish will eat it. I have not fed my Crayfish cuddle bone, but I feed shrimp pellets and veggie rounds. Also I'm not sure if you knew this already, but your Crayfish is a Mexican Dwarf Crayfish. I have one as well! :D

3. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

That crayfish looks like a juvenile orange lobster. If it was dwarf it would only get to be about an 1 1/2 inches long. How big is he now? My guess is he is the full size type. Alison

4. KO_ Member Member

Yeah hes already almost 3 inches so I don't think he is a dwarf. My wife just told me he dragged the molt back to his main cave so I guess I'm leaving it in there for him. Ill put the heater in tonight.

5. Cowfish928 Member Member

My bad. I wasn't trying to give you wrong information. That was wrong on my part. Sorry! aliray KayOh

6. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

it is very hard to tell from a picture with no size reference. Alison

7. KO_ Member Member

He made the great climb today.

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Nice looking set up for him or her. Did you name him yet? Alison:;hi2