Help New T5 leads - connect bulb to ballast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohib321

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi,

I have a T5 HO 2x55w lights connected to an electronic ballast. The bulb fittings are broken - 1 bulb has completely fallen out, other is very loose and bulb is smashed. Both bulbs are interpet - 4 pin linear arrangement.

I want to change the leads/wires which connect the ballast to the lamps but have not been able to find any online. Sorry i cannot upload pics at this time but have been able to find exact same lighting on internet for sale.

Any help in finding these leads/wires would be greatly appreciated,

Mohib 321

Attachments

Last edited:

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Those aren't T5s, they're compact fluorescent.
What's broken about them? Is it the socket that the lamps go into, or is it the lamps themselves?

OP
M

Mohib321

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks for your reply,

On one lead, the socket is broken (big peice of plastic missing) and the lamp has fallen out. And on the other lead, the lamp is smashed and the fitting into the socket is very loose.

Could you please tell me how I would go about removing the lamp from the socket?

Also on one of the lamp sockets it says "interpet, triplus 55w T5" so i assumed that they were compact T5 bulbs. On the ballast is also says 55w T5

Thanks.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Okay, I get it, I think. I bet they're power compacts made to work with T5 ballasts. 54w is a typical 4' T5 HO bulb, so that would make sense.

Anyway, my suggestion for dealing with the broken bulbs is to take them outside (or anywhere you can easily sweep up broken glass). Use a pair of heavy-duty gloves and work the bulbs loose.

Did the setup come with clips/clamps to hook the bulbs into? If not, that's probably where your problems are coming from. Most of the time, PC bulbs are not held in place by the electrical connections, unlike normal fluorescents. Instead, there are metal clamps that hold the lamp in place, keeping it in firm contact with the electrical connections.

OP
M

Mohib321

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi,

There are clips on the tank lid holding the lamps up but these are very loose. I bought the tank second hand and i dont think that the clips came with the light. I had to cable tie one end of each lamp to stop them from falling out.

I have tried to remove the lamp which is connected to a socket but havent been able to do so. I gave it a pull but dont really want to cause anymore damage. I cannot see any clips or anything else holding the lamp in. Do i just have to pull harder??

Can anyone tell me where I could purchase new leads or should I just purchase a new unit?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My thought is that you can pull harder. If you can't get the bulb out, you can't use them. Might as well risk breaking them to get the bulb out.

I would see if I could find new clips to hold them. As I said, the leads don't have to really hold the bulbs if the clips are holding it.
If you need, though, you should be able to find new leads to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom