New swtup

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jackgooner87, Apr 2, 2010.

1. j

jackgooner87 New Member Member

New setup

Hi, sorry if there is a post like this all ready. I have got a new tank set up (35 litre tank, gravel, pump, trickle filter system, lighting & water heater). I have washed it all out with warm tap water and cleaned the gravel. I have filled the tank up with water and put stress coat+ & stress zyme+ and turned it all on. It’s been on for about 24hrs with water about 23-24c. I have been reading about the cycle the water needs to go through. I am doing a fishless cycle with no plants. Do I just leave it now to do its job or do I need to do anything else? Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

3. Prince Powder

Prince Powder Well Known Member Member

Hi and welcome to Fishlore!
    Good for you on doing a fishless cycle! As Carol mentioned your tank will need an ammonia source to begin the cycle. You can use the pure ammonia following the link Carol posted, you can use fish food (this one can make the tank a bit messy) or you can use a piece of raw shrimp or raw fish to get going. This link here will explain them all with more detail.

Four Methods of Fishless Cycling

For a fishless cycle you can actually raise the temperature up to about 85F as the higher temperature helps speed up the cycle a bit. Also, if you don't already have one, invest in a good quality liquid test kit like the API Master Test Kit. That way you can keep track of your cycle's progression and know when the cycle is complete and your tank ready for fish.

I would like to recommend that you discontinue the use of the Stress Zyme+ though. It is a bacterial supplement that claims to help cycle a tank faster, however it does not contain the correct bacteria for cycling. Because the bacteria may consume some of the ammonia it may give the appearance that it is cycling your tank, but more often than not, once you stop using it the cycle crashes and you have to start from scratch. In the meantime it will starve out the real bacteria that you need to grow in order to cycle.

Good luck with your cycle! Keep us posted.

4. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Thanks Prince I couldn't find that link to save my life this morning LOL
    Carol

5. OP
    OP
    j

i have got tropical fish flake food. Do i just put some flakes in? How many and how offten do i do it?

6. Prince Powder

I have personally never used that method so all I can suggest is to follow the directions given in the link I gave you. "A few flakes (a tiny pinch) every 12 hours." However getting a test kit will be important to monitor your levels to ensure you are getting your ammonia levels high enough to start, while not overfeeding and getting them too high where they will overwhelm the bacteria. Of the 4 methods in the link I gave I would personally prefer the raw shrimp method as it doesn't require daily feedings. But that's just my personal preference any of the methods will get your cycle going. :)

7. OP
    OP
    j

i have not got green/brow spots in the tank (corners). Do i need to clean this off or is it good?

8. Prince Powder

The brown spots are probably Diatoms. They are completely harmless and quite common in new tanks. They are ugly, but they will go away on their own in time. The green spots are probably algae. Algae is generally caused by too much lighting. If your tank is in a spot where it is getting direct sunlight then I would suggest moving it to another location or you will have a constantly increasing and never ending algae problem. If the tank isn't in sunlight then you are probably leaving the lights on too long. Make sure they are left on for no more than 12 hours a day maximum. 8-10 hours would be sufficient for your fish once you get them. To get rid of algae caused by leaving the lights on you can just leave them off for a few days to reduce their growth. You won't need the lights while cycling anyways.

9. OP
    OP
    j

i dont think it is algae. it must be the other thing. thanks for your help again.

10. OP
    OP
    j

i have now got my water test kit and a piece of raw fish. My warter in the tank is ammonia .25, nitrite .25, nirate 5, ph 7.6 and temp 24c (76f). Do i just put the raw fish in the tank now and just test the water every day untill the levels are correct for fish?

11. Beth1965

Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

I have read that many people but the shrimp in a mesh type bag to keep pieces of the shrimp from scattering around the tank. Yes, keep testing the water until you have the desired readings. Best of luck!
    Beth

12. OP
    OP
    j

i have put the raw fish in last night. I looked at the tank this morrning and it has now gone cloudy (white). Is this normal?

13. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

the cloudiness is probably a bacteria bloom

14. OP
    OP
    j

is that good or bad? sorry this is my first tank im setting up

15. c

claudicles Well Known Member Member

Bacterial bloom is normal, just in case you are wondering. It means that when the bacteria get a source of food they multiply and their numbers turn the water cloudy. It will take a while longer to cycle though as their are a couple of types of bacteria that need to grow and one is faster than the other.

16. OP
    OP
    j

ok thanks for that. i dont mind about time as long as the fish are healthy when i get some

17. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice