New swordies

1. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

I now have 4 new swordtails, 2 male 2 female. I was planning on 3 dwarf gouramies but they were $7 apiece and at petsmart they were like 3 :mad: The swordies were $2.25 each. I got some really pretty ones, the females are both really bright red-orange, and one male is bright red with a long red edged with black tail, and the other looks like Dino's Monties--https://www.fishlore.com/Forum/index.php?topic=744.0 though his tail is only as long as the top one in the photo
    I would have liked to get the dwarf gouramis, they were so pretty but too expensive for me, I cant afford $21 for 3 fish :(

2. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

oh and by the way I have 1 zebra danio left so will he (actually I think it's a she, it was the biggest one) harass the swordies?  If so what can I do with him/her?  I don't want to have to euthanize a perfectly healthy fish ???

3. Marc Well Known Member Member

If it causes any problems you could ask at your local pet stores to see if they will take it.

4. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

oh yeah good idea, and hopefully if my pleco gets too big they will take him too...Though maybe then my mom would see why I "need" ;D a bigger tank muahahahahahaaaaaaa :p

5. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

i would get rid of your pleco now so your lfs will take him but usually they wont take him as they get bigger but i gave my lfs a rtbs and i think the GM took it home instead of selling it lol

6. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

well i probably cant trade him in now because my parents (and the friend that gave him to me) wouldn't understand why I was giving him back, he is only about 2 inches long

7. Jon Well Known Member Member

although you are free to do what you want i would suggest returning 1 male sword or buying 2-4 more females...

swords along with almost every other livebearer prefer to be in 1:3 m:f ratios if not that 1:2... a 1:1 usually brings out agression among males in swordtails and with other livebearers usually brings harrassment to the females... im not sure if you are aware of this but just watch your fish closely... there are always oddball cases where it works.

8. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

Exactly what I was going to do.  I thought about it earlier and decided to return one male (neither is looking too good :( ) and get a few more females.  Also I want to get more females so I can sell the fry to the store (for a certain something im getting from them muahaha)

9. Jon Well Known Member Member

lol good to hear your doing the right thing... what are you getting for your fry?

10. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I think you're doing the right thing with the swords. But you should also get more zebra danios. Your single one must feel pretty uncomfortable, and I wouldn't blame him for harrassing other fish. There probably isn't room in your tank, but hey, great excuse for getting another one... ;D ;Dmooooahahahahaaa! Hey, let me know how you do with the fry, because I'm planning to breed Guppies and Platys.

11. Jason Well Known Member Member

Cool new Swords, got to get some more for my new tank. My male is bright red with a yellow stripe down the tail , I did have one with the black stripe but he died about 1/2 yr ago anyway I think I'll get another like that