New supplies/products

1. I

Immy29 New Member Member

So I've owned my little painted turtle for about 4-5 months now, and I have never had any problems whatsoever. Yesterday, I bought some water conditioner, water cleanser, a reptoguard, a heat lamp, and some dried insects. I know, some things I should've had from the start, but initially we weren't planning on keeping him. I didn't buy a fliter system because I clean the tank at least once a week and I've never had any reason (until now) to consider it. anywho, yesterday I cleaned out my turtle's tank, scrubbing at the sides, cleaning all the stones, the whole 9 yards. I put in the correct amount of conditioner and cleanser, and just a small piece of the reptoguard, like it said on their website (I don't have 20 gallons). I also put a shrimp and 2 worms (all dried) for my little guy. He ate about half of the shrimp and half of a worm (I wasn't too sure how much to feed him, as this was my first time buying insects, usually we just gave him ants and flies and stuff) The water was crystal clear until 2 am. I awoke at 6 am and my water is cloudy. Any clue as to what it may have been? I have never had cloudy water before.

2. 1thing

1thing Valued Member Member

If there was food left in the water that may have contributided!!

after that I'm stumped!

thing

3. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! I would highly recommend reading this article on the nitrogen cycle. Your complete cleaning unfortunately would have killed any of the beneficial bacteria in the tank. That bacteria is what breaks down the ammonia produced by turtle poop and uneaten food. Any waste in the aquarium means ammonia in the water, which needs beneficial bacteria to convert it into nitrites, then nitrates -- each of which is less harmful that the previous -- until you remove the end product (nitrates) through water changes.

That cloudiness is very common in tanks going through the nitrogen cycle. If you have a test kit, I would definitely test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. I will almost guarantee you that you'll get an ammonia reading. If you don't have a test kit, most fish stores will test your tank water for free.

A filter really is necessary for turtles. They produce much more waste and therefore ammonia than fish do. A filter is where most beneficial bacteria live and they will provide the biological filtration (breaking down ammonia) in addition to the mechanical filtration (catching physical pieces of waste for removal) that the filter cartridge provides. It is also never recommended to do a complete scrub down of a tank, since as you've discovered it can destroy your cycle and put you back to square one.

Also, what size is your tank? Smaller tanks will get higher ammonia levels because there is less water to dilute the turtle's waste.