New Sunkist Shrimp

EricV

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What's different about them? They seem rather similar to my pumpkins.

image.jpg

Vyvid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's hard to show in a picture but they are less yellow. Pumpkins are pumpkin colored whereas sunkist are reddish orange like sunkist orange soda. Also there's a slight possibility that these are Caridina Propinqua "orange bees" vs sunkist neos. I've had two very well versed shrimpers give me opposite opinions. I'll know if her eggs hatch. Propinqua need brackish.

Love your pumpkins though.

EricV

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yours do seem to have a slightly more reddish hue to them although it's hard to say how much of that is due to the lighting and substrate differences between our photos.

Also I've noticed that if I provide my pumpkins with certain foods (nls ultra red for example) their color will shift redder over time and remain that way for a time even once the diet has been changed although the effect doesn't carry over to the offspring.

Regardless though they are very nice shrimp.

Vyvid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
These are born almost that color. Similar to a PFR vs a low fire/Sakura where it takes them longer to get their red tone (hope that makes sense).

My tangerine tigers are about the color of pumpkins and these are a completely different orange.

These are one variation closer to red neos where as pumpkins are one step closer to green neos

Vyvid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437250793.844912.jpg

I believe these are "orange neon" vs "orange Sakura" on this chart

Vyvid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
EricV here's some macro lens shots that show the color better. Including a tangerine tiger shot that's the same color as sakuras using the same lighting for comparison

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437262128.500563.jpg
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437262140.039828.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437262149.377791.jpg

BDpups

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That color chart is really cool. I didn't realize there were so many different color variations.

Vyvid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
EricV here's one next to a tangerine tiger which are about the same shade as pumpkin/Sakuras
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437333272.694265.jpg
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437333283.885677.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom