New Substrate for aquascape

NelledIt

I recently just converted my tank from gravel to soil. Only thing is i realized I brought tropica soil powder. Today is the third day of having the soil powder in there so far no ammonia spikes or ph drops to my surprise. I added plants from an already cycled tank and couple new ones to the tank as well I also have been dosing my tank with stability. My question is do you all think I should be worried about my ammonia spiking before I add my fish back to the aquarium? I was considering doing this on Sunday since it would have been a week assuming there isn't any problems.

Rye3434

Tropica soil shouldn't add a ton of ammonia so its possible that the plants just absorbed all of it quickly and then it would be safe to add fish back provided that the filtration is able to handle them. An ammonia spike should only be from fish bioload at that point and not the substrate. When I use aquasoil the ammonia spike typically appears within a few hours or one day so you should be fine.

NelledIt

Tropica soil shouldn't add a ton of ammonia so its possible that the plants just absorbed all of it quickly and then it would be safe to add fish back provided that the filtration is able to handle them. An ammonia spike should only be from fish bioload at that point and not the substrate. When I use aquasoil the ammonia spike typically appears within a few hours or one day so you should be fine.
I actually had a small spike in ammonia today so I did a 25% WC and I am going to continue to monitor it

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MaximumRide14
  • Question
Replies
Views
GinkoTracks
40 Gallon Tank Day 28 fishless cycle.
Replies
Views
GenF211