New stones

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by Linni93, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Linni93Valued MemberMember

I just bought a bag of black stones that I was planning to add to my tank. I bought them at a place where they sell plants and things for your garden (don't know what it's called). The stones aren't big and they are relatively smooth, but I don't know what type of rock they are.
    Would these be safe to put in the tank, and how should I treat them before putting them in?

2. Jrobber

JrobberWell Known MemberMember

I believe if it use a couple of drops of vingear on the rocks and it fizzles, then it will raise your pH level, or vise versa. I'm not 100% on that, so i'll let someone else answer that.

Make sure your scrub and rinse the rocks really good before adding them in the tank.

Edit: I've found old conversations around here that say when you pour vinegar on the rock, if it fizzles, it is not safe for use in your tank. If nothing happens, they're good. You may also have to boil the rocks, like boiling driftwood, to make sure all contaminants all cleaned off.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  3. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

If they have a sort of shiny finish to them they are probably polished river pebbles & should be safe for your aquarium after a quick scrub. If they don't have the shiny coating they could be almost any sort of stone. The vinegar test is to check if they will alter the PH of your water. If the vinegar fizzes the stones will raise the PH. I find the test unreliable & don't use it myself. I much prefer to put the rocks/stones in a sealed container of water with known PH, KH & GH values. Leave them for a week & then retest the water. If none of the parameters have changed then the stones will be ok to use. Make sure there are no metal veins running through any of the stones you want to use.

4. OP
    OP
    L

Linni93Valued MemberMember

thanks, I appreciate it :)
    just put the stones in, now i'm crossing my fingers...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice