1. theRqua Member Member

Hi,
    Today I bought the following rocks:

[​IMG]

(Bright side of the rock)
    [​IMG]

(Dark side of the rock)
    [​IMG]

I rinsed them in boiling water, with a bit of "thickened chlorine bleach gel" (scented), has 30 grams of active chlorine per liter. I tried to get rid of the algae with the white magic sponge and a toothbrush, but didn't work (though the bright side is a dead insect).
    Left the smaller rocks apart, kept the bigger rock inside the container.

Thing is, that large rock already came with algae spots on them, don't want them to suddenly grow in my tank, as my tank may be blessed with purple algae (evidence is purplish water when replaced, and a purple airstone pipe).

Though a more central question would be whether those rocks even fit my tank or not. My last pH test indicated around 6.5-7 pH. How will those rocks affect the current pH?

Thanks for the help!

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. leftswerve Well Known Member Member

This post needs to be moved to the Saltwater forum

P.S. never use "thick bleach".

4. theRqua Member Member

But I'm running a freshwater aquarium..

5. leftswerve Well Known Member Member

Sorry op, with the type of rock and mention of purple algae, it had the signs of a reefer.
    After cleaning the rocks again, again, and again. Then soaking them in a dechlorinator and cleaning them again. All in a effort to rid the stones of the bleach product you used.
    Place a few drops of white vinegar on each one. See if it fizzles. If it does, wouln't use them. If it does not, clean them again and cross your fingers.
    Good luck

6. theRqua Member Member

When you say cleaning, what do you mean? Rinsing in water, brushes, sponges..?
    And why specifically white vinegar and no other vinegar?

7. leftswerve Well Known Member Member

The thick bleach usually has additives in it. Those are typically detergents/surfactants. That stuff is hard to remove all the way. Especially on porous rock. Clean clear water, rinse it over and over, then soak in a highly concentrated bath of dechlorinator and rinse some more.

As far as vinegar, that is to test if the rock will dissolve or not. If it dissolves too much it will change your ph and other factors over time. Best to not start out with that, IMO.