New Stem Plant Free for Experimentation, Just Pay Shipping

Vishaquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
EDIT: All free shinnersia orders have been spoken for. Thank you for looking and for your interest!

Hi All!

I have a new stem plant that I'm growing called Shinnersia rivularis. It's also called Mexican Oak Leaf. It's an extremely fast grower, probably on par with plants like Elodea or Wisteria. It is a great plant for beginners and is a quite attractive too
1595029932283.png
1595029963169.png

Here's the issue with this plant: In its submersed state, it will be too delicate to send through mail. The leaves are soft, tender, and snap really easily. That isn't to say the plant isn't hardy; in fact it's very hardy. But the physical form of this submersed plant is impractical to send through the mail. I've had this same issue with broadleaf watersprite, hornwort, and stargrass. All of which were great, hardy plants and super easy to grow, but simply impractical to send through the mail. As a result, I've stopped growing it for sale.

However, this plant is fairly rare and most people haven't heard of it. I want to start selling this plant in its emersed state, fully rooted and everything. But before I dedicate more space to cultivating this plant above water, I want to make sure that there is
1) Demand for this plant in its emersed state
and
2) That this plant can transition from emersed to submersed state with little issues in other people's tanks.

Hence, I am looking to send a couple of free stems to people, (just pay shipping of $8 and I'll be shipping priority with a free cold pack) so that they can test out how this emersed plant will do through the transition and in their particular tanks. I would really appreciate if the people who received these free plants would be able to consistently update me on how the transition process is going and how the plant does overall, probably about once a week for 4-5 weeks if possible. I understand that this may be quite an inconvenience, but I would really appreciate any feedback that I can get on this unique plant.

Please let me know below in the comments if you think that there is demand for this plant and/or want to be apart of the experimentation with free stems. Thanks!

OP
Vishaquatics

Vishaquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FishGirl115 said:
I would be interested, but not really wanting to pay $8 for something that might not live...
I should've mentioned that I could ship it for $4.50 first class, I just won't be able to promise that it'll arrive in a timely manner because USPS has been delaying many packages recently (likely due to COVID19).

OP
Vishaquatics

Vishaquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mimo91088 said:
I'll give it a shot and keep you updated. You take PayPal? PM me.
Great! I'll PM you

OP
Vishaquatics

Vishaquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maryellen said:
This plant is actually so gorgeous. It would look great with my moneywort! I’d so be interested.
I'll PM you! :)

mimo91088

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FishGirl115 said:
I would be interested, but not really wanting to pay $8 for something that might not live...
When you buy plants, they often melt. You're essentially buying roots to regrow. And I feel like 8 bucks is more than fair for an uncommon plant.

Donovan Jones

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've actually heard of this plant before and would love to try it. Saw it in a Barron's aquarium fish book about themed aquariums.
Edit...for shipping you could try wrapping its roots in wet paper towel then put it in a rigid container that doesnt let it move too much

FishGirl115

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Vishaquatics said:
I should've mentioned that I could ship it for $4.50 first class, I just won't be able to promise that it'll arrive in a timely manner because USPS has been delaying many packages recently (likely due to COVID19).
Alright. Thank you :) Let me know if you still need this in 2 months. I will have room for it then :)

Basil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is it too far to try to ship across the country? And is it too large for a 10 g?Setting up a 10 and would be happy to try it and keep you updated.

OP
Vishaquatics

Vishaquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mimo91088 said:
When you buy plants, they often melt. You're essentially buying roots to regrow. And I feel like 8 bucks is more than fair for an uncommon plant.
In this case, I'll be sending Shinnersia cuttings (I don't have fully rooted plants yet as those are my mother plants), but since it is a stem plant, you're essentially buying a hardy stem. Most stem plants tend to even have their emersed roots melt back, but their stems remains firm and strong to then throw off new submersed shoots.

I'm surprised that this plant is so rare, I had to look everywhere to find a source. Only way I was able to get some was through ordering wholesale directly from the source (Florida Aquatic Nurseries, one of the only aquatic plant growers in the US).

OP
Vishaquatics

Vishaquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Basil said:
Is it too far to try to ship across the country? And is it too large for a 10 g?Setting up a 10 and would be happy to try it and keep you updated.
I think we could do that. It'll be a good size for a 10G

CTYankee79

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That’s a beautiful plant! I have no more room in this tank or I would definitely be interested. If it ends up working out and you continue to cultivate them I will pick some up in the future.

CTYankee79

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Basil said:
Happy to see you working on planting your 10 gallon! The OPs plants are top notch, he helped me a lot with my 40B. They got to me cross country in two days with priority mail

OP
Vishaquatics

Vishaquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All free shinnersia orders have been spoken for. Thank you for looking and for your interest!

trahana

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it’s tropical or sub tropical I’d be interested in buying one emersed state for my paludarium. The soil is boggy and my bacopa live emersed in it, along with two mosses.

OP
Vishaquatics

Vishaquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
trahana said:
If it’s tropical or sub tropical I’d be interested in buying one emersed state for my paludarium. The soil is boggy and my bacopa live emersed in it, along with two mosses.
Thank you for your interest. At this time, I currently don't have any available, but I should have more soon

New Threads