New Start Up Tank, Im Clueless!!!

Jaybo84

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've just joined as i have got myself a tank. Its my first ever one. Its a Fluval edge 6 gallon tank. the filter and heater etc....are the ones that come standard with the tank. Im just wondering what kind of plants i should be getting for it? I want like a jungle theme, lots of green etc. .also, what kind of fish should i be getting to start up with? Also, i heard you can get shrimp for the tank too?

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi everyone. I've just joined as i have got myself a tank. Its my first ever one. Its a Fluval edge 6 gallon tank. the filter and heater etc....are the ones that come standard with the tank. Im just wondering what kind of plants i should be getting for it? I want like a jungle theme, lots of green etc. .also, what kind of fish should i be getting to start up with? Also, i heard you can get shrimp for the tank too?
Plants like anubias nana species, bucephelandra species, cryptocoryne parva, maybe cryptocoryne wendtii, dwarf sag, staurogyne repens, hygrophila compact, marimo moss balls, various moss species. Or for a jungle, you could probably try some stem plants like ludwigia repens or rotala rotundifolia, though you may need to trim them once in a while so it doesnt get too long for your liking.

There aren't many fish you can do in a 6 gallon setup. Maybe a betta and a snail, a shrimp tank, or a pea puffer.

If you do shrimp, it would help to know your pH, gH, and kH. Neocaridinas are usually better for beginners, they also prefer a neutral pH but may handle up to 8.0. Caridinas are a bit more delicate and prefer slightly acidic water.

Jaybo84

Reaction score
Plants like anubias nana species, bucephelandra species, cryptocoryne parva, maybe cryptocoryne wendtii, dwarf sag, staurogyne repens, hygrophila compact, marimo moss balls, various moss species. Or for a jungle, you could probably try some stem plants like ludwigia repens or rotala rotundifolia, though you may need to trim them once in a while so it doesnt get too long for your liking.

There aren't many fish you can do in a 6 gallon setup. Maybe a betta and a snail, a shrimp tank, or a pea puffer.

If you do shrimp, it would help to know your pH, gH, and kH. Neocaridinas are usually better for beginners, they also prefer a neutral pH but may handle up to 8.0. Caridinas are a bit more delicate and prefer slightly acidic water.
Thanks for the reply. I might leave the shrimp then until i really understand what i am doing. Should i limit myself to just one betta fish? Obviously as its a small tank i know i cant have a lot of fish in there, so was just curious. Thanks for the plant ideas too, its appreciated

TamiR

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the reply. I might leave the shrimp then until i really understand what i am doing. Should i limit myself to just one betta fish? Obviously as its a small tank i know i cant have a lot of fish in there, so was just curious. Thanks for the plant ideas too, its appreciated
Welcome and good luck with your first tank! I just went through the whole process so I know how excited you are! Easy plants to use are java fern, anubias, cryptocoryne, anacharis...youtube has some great videos on aquascaping (look for Aquapros to start, he is great)...look at Aquatic Arts for plants...I just ordered a bunch..they explain what each plant requires before you purchase..it is a really great source of info on different types of plants.

KaptainStache

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How good is the light that's included? In a small tank it is easier for carpeting plants. It helps if you have an idea before you fill the tank. I've dirted an established tank and it waz a pain.

Last edited by a moderator:

The_fishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Just one betta if you decide to go that route. Depending on the personality of the betta, you might be able to have other things in there as well (shrimp, snails, dwarf cray).

Jaybo84

Reaction score
How good is the light that's included? In a small tank it is easier for carpeting plants. It helps if you have an idea before you fill the tank. I've dirted an established tank and it waz a pain
The light is really bright to be honest. Its an led light.

Welcome and good luck with your first tank! I just went through the whole process so I know how excited you are! Easy plants to use are java fern, anubias, cryptocoryne, anacharis...youtube has some great videos on aquascaping (look for Aquapros to start, he is great)...look at Aquatic Arts for plants...I just ordered a bunch..they explain what each plant requires before you purchase..it is a really great source of info on different types of plants.
Thank you for the help. its appreciated and I'll take your advice

Just one betta if you decide to go that route. Depending on the personality of the betta, you might be able to have other things in there as well (shrimp, snails, dwarf cray).
Ok great, thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
One betta for sure, it would be near-impossible to try two (even females) in such a small space like a 6 gallon tank.

TetraKing101

Valued Member
Reaction score
Use jungle Val it’s grows like crazy you’ll have to cut it but it gives a lush jungle look

Jaybo84

Reaction score
Hi guys, just letting you all know, I've set my tank up now so im leaving it a few days to settle. Im hoping someone has any good links they can send me to look for the right betta fish?

DIYhack

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi guys, just letting you all know, I've set my tank up now so im leaving it a few days to settle. Im hoping someone has any good links they can send me to look for the right betta fish?
Look into the nitrogen cycle first and read. You can’t just let a tank settle and add fish. Usually takes 3-4 weeks.

You can use quick start and water conditioner like prime.

You can do a in fish cycle but it’s a lot more work. 50% water changes every other day etc.

Jaybo84

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. i didn't mean i was going to put a fish straight in, sorry. I didn't clear that up. i understand i have to leave it all in there for the next fortight or so. I was just asking in general, i can see betta fish on eBay but wasn't sure if that's a good ppace to buy a fish from?

DIYhack

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the reply. i didn't mean i was going to put a fish straight in, sorry. I didn't clear that up. i understand i have to leave it all in there for the next fortight or so. I was just asking in general, i can see betta fish on eBay but wasn't sure if that's a good ppace to buy a fish from?
I’m sure there are some good ones on eBay prob expensive. I’ve only ever saved them from cups in in pet stores
For like $7.

Noroomforshoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ebay has gorgeos specimens. Likely much helthier then the ones in the cups at the petstore. And they are delivered stragt to you, instead of being delivered to the petstore, sitting in dirty cup in noisy store , people manhandling them... But if you want to buy such a beautiful specimen, and pay the $30 shipping, I would suggest a 10 gallon tank. Any of the half moon, dumbo, super long finned bettas will do better in a 10 gallon. But that is my opinion, you will make your own decision.
If you really want to see some beautiful fish, check out aquabid.com

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom