new sponge filter help

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by brokenwing, Apr 10, 2010.

1. brokenwingWell Known MemberMember

I just bought this sponge filter for my aquarium. Im trying to seed it into an existing tank fist, but there is no way to hold it in place. There are no suction cups at all. Never had a songe filter before, so please help. The filter just floats to the top of the tank.

2. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

I thought most commercial ones came with weighted bases. However it you have any river rockes or larger stones in your tank you can set them on top of a few of the "arms" to weigh it down. That's what I do with my home-made ones typically.

3. TedsTankWell Known MemberMember

The sponge filter sits on the bottom...they normally aren'y made to hang. You can seed it,.... start the air pump and get it running. Get some filter media from another filter and gently squeeze it down near the sponge. That will be pulled into the sponge and start a culture in that tank.

They are excellent easy filters to have in tanks. Great backup filters too for seeding other filters.

4. MartinismommyFishlore VIPMember

Squeeze it and let go...It will float for a day that is normal....It will eventually sink to the bottom...

5. brokenwingWell Known MemberMember

ok i will let it float for a day and see what happens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice