new snail tank

jeniferdwn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I want to move my snails to a 2.5 gallon tank. Do I need light? Do i need a filter or just an air pump with a stone just to move the water some? Right now they are in my fish tank and in a plastic critter carrier. Any suggestions from all you snail experts? I would greatly appreciate any help!

BunnyPuncher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm not a snail expert. But I have always found this place helpful when dealing with the quirky antics of my mystery snail. The apple (aka mystery) snail is the most commonly kept pet (as opposed to pest) snail. Check out their forums - buncha snail geeks.

Not sure what kind of snails you keep, but I find the larger ones to be very messy and high waste producers - at least visibly.

I would treat a snail tank set up just like a fish tank - filter, heater (for seasonal coolness or high temp snails), friendly substrate, plants and fun rocks / wood.

Last edited:

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have some in a critterkeeper with a small filter (one of 1-5 gallon jobs with a spraybar) No heater and a desk light. They seem to be just happy. I do have some Java Moss in there as well which they seem to appreciate.

jeniferdwn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was told they were generic pond snails and MTS, but as they have gotten bigger, they look very much like the ramshorn snails. They've lost that "oval" shape of the shell and it's now round with the swirl. I'm hoping my MTS will have some babies as I only have 3 of them. There are lots of eggs, so I'm hoping they aren't all ramshorns. They're all very tiny. Much smaller than a dime.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MTS give birth to live young, so you won't see any eggs from them.

jeniferdwn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have some in a critterkeeper with a small filter (one of 1-5 gallon jobs with a spraybar) No heater and a desk light. They seem to be just happy. I do have some Java Moss in there as well which they seem to appreciate.
I can't find a filter that small. I was hoping to find one for a ten gal with the adjuster thingy on it so I could use that. If not, I was going to just try an air pump.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MTS are mostly in the substrate, so babies are going to be tough to spot. Your best bet is to look at the tank after the lights have been out for a while - that's when they come out in mass.

jeniferdwn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ok, went to Petsmart at lunch and got the cute little 2.5 gal tank with clear top. The light was seperate and I'll have to wait on it. I did find the 1-3 gal filter, so I bought that too. Hopefully they'll be happy.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom