New Snail, Fixed My Setup

Frisbee

so as some of you may know, I originally had some snails but was unaware of some issues of my setup so it flopped (this is a link to the thread https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/land-snail-care.408105/), so one snail died and I released the other one (realizing it was my fault one died).

Anyways, to the point. I wanted to fix what was wrong and start over so I did. I was pulling weeds at the neighbors house today and I found a snail (helix aspersa) and I wanted to save him so I brought him home. I put him in the old habitat temporarily while I made him some food. After that I put him in temporary holding in a smaller container while I did some modifications to the old one. I comepletely dumped out the contents of the old enclosure and scrubbed it out. I then put some fresh dirt in it and made some snail hides (a pot laying on its side and a rock cave) I planted a baby ivy plant in there. I misted it down and then put my helix in in there. I took the lid off of to make some modifications to it. I first cut a couple rectangular holes and then crazy glued some fine mesh over each hole. After the glue was dried enough I put the lid on. I also found a place that stays completely shady all day (when I had the other snails I had the enclosure in a place that got a couple hours of sunlight in the morning, I did not know at the time how bad this was cause I figured it was cool enough in the mornings, but one of my snails died partially due to this so I have learned my lesson).

My little helix is doing well, his enclosure is staying cool, pictures coming soon.

P.S. My little helix has this hillarious quirk, he loves hanging upside down when he's napping, it's very funny, he climbs onto the lid of the enclosure or to the top of one of his his hides when he's ready to nap. I hope this is nothing to be concerned about.

richiep

I see you like snails why not try one of these it's the African land snail

Attachments

• 670px-User-Completed-Image-Care-for-Giant-African-Land-Snails-2017.07.28-15.11.20.0.jpg
    670px-User-Completed-Image-Care-for-Giant-African-Land-Snails-2017.07.28-15.11.20.0.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 114

Frisbee

I see you like snails why not try one of these it's the African land snail
Oh I know, I would LOOOOVE one, but they are illegal where I live (I live in the US). I might just get on a plane to Florida some day and catch some myself and be a criminal, lol, they are so cute.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg