New snail addition into betta tank?

Sophie292

Hi all, I have a betta named Donald in a 5.5 gallon tank. I am thinking about getting a snail or two, however I am completely inexperienced with them. My tank used to be in a spot with almost no sun, and never had any algae. I moved it to a spot with a lot of indirect sunlight just 2 days ago and haven't had any algae. Snails eat algae, right? If I have none, what will the snails eat? Again, I am completely inexperienced with snails so any type of advice would be greatly appreciated. One more thing, I have heard of people getting a snail with eggs and having a real problem with the snail babies. What type of snail would be least problematic in this case? Also, do snails poop a lot? Would that be a problem?

grac3

you could get a nerite snail, they only breed in brackish water but yes, they all poop A LOT. like man where does it even come from?? anyway, i haven't fed my nerite in like two years, i guess he just eats poop and decaying plants. if you are concerned or whatever, you can drop in an algae wafer but don't do it too often. otherwise, i wouldnt worry.

as for all the poop, do weekly 20-30% water changes and vacuum the gravel too! if you do decide on a nerite, make sure you have a lid, it will try to escape haha so be careful. hope this helps

Upvote 0

betta06

yes a nerate snail would do well in a 5 gallon but they poop a LOT and some will lay eggs they just wont hatch.
but otherwise they are great (I have 3) and awesome algae eaters and super cool patterns. I think one would be fine for your tank though

and as said above they dont really need to eat anything (or want to) i have tried all kinds of boiled veggies and they are always uninterested
you could get a nerite snail, they only breed in brackish water but yes, they all poop A LOT. like man where does it even come from?? anyway, i haven't fed my nerite in like two years, i guess he just eats poop and decaying plants. if you are concerned or whatever, you can drop in an algae wafer but don't do it too often. otherwise, i wouldnt worry.

as for all the poop, do weekly 20-30% water changes and vacuum the gravel too! if you do decide on a nerite, make sure you have a lid, it will try to escape haha so be careful. hope this helps
very true about them escaping one of mine traveled halfway across the room once I almost stepped on him! luckily he is fine now and no more escapes lol.

Upvote 0

Sophie292

Hi I know this isn't very related to the thread, but I just got some floater plants today including duckweed and my betta has been trying to eat them. Is duckweed bad for fish to eat? How do I get the betta to stop eating duckweed? Any advice is appreciated

Upvote 0

betta06

Hi I know this isn't very related to the thread, but I just got some floater plants today including duckweed and my betta has been trying to eat them. Is duckweed bad for fish to eat? How do I get the betta to stop eating duckweed? Any advice is appreciated
I have salvania but my bettas did the same at first. is he actually eating it? or just putting it in his mouth? I know mine just put it in his mouth then spat it out... duckweed is a crazy fast growing plant though! i know i am overwhelmed with my salvania have it in every tank now started out with one 10 gallon not even full now about 3 weeks later all of my tanks (6 of them) are full!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• blindfaith429
  • Snails
Replies
Views
Miss
  • Question
  • fishlife9
  • Snails
Replies
Views