New single tanks!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by critter_fritter79, Mar 31, 2010.

1. critter_fritter79

critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

So with this fin rot situation, I decided I just plain don't like everyone being in divided tanks anymore...stuff spreads to easily from one to another that way!! So I went out and got all the males their own 2 gallon containers. After washing them out really good, I filled them with clean, medicated water, and now they are all in their new homes...I also drilled holes in the lids for feeding and air..I wanted the lids on them so Samson can't reach into the tanks or drop anything else into them! He likes to take stuff like his toys up onto the shelf and drop them into the tanks!!!

Attached Files:

2. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Good job Critter! How much were those containers? For some reason I like those....lol

3. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

they were a whopping $4 a peice at wally world!!

4. Furallicah

*Shock* Lol, thats not bad at all....curse you wally world and your always low prices....yet you keep crappy fish supplies other then tanks!!!!!! Lol, glad to hear that everone is happy. Hows your boy with fin rot doing?

5. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

he is still swimming and eating...we will see if this helps any. I also left the bottoms of these containers bare so gunk doesn't have a chance to build up...

6. Furallicah

Thats a good idea. I hope everyone gets better Critter! Best of Luck!!

7. cajunfiberco

cajunfiberco Well Known Member Member

Those are great! Do you think you will keep buying those for your spawn babies as well? Are they pretty clear? That would be the only turn off for me, I like to see them clearly. But when you have so many it is probably better that way.

8. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

They are almost totally clear, but the camera flash makes them look kind of foggy.. For my fry, I have cups for them that look just like the betta cups at petco or petsmart..only the ones I have are 1/2gallon size. I am considering getting these for all my females too though.. depending on how well they work out. I have 3 more I need to buy for a few males I have coming on the 11th...that will fill that stand completely!

9. cajunfiberco

Ok, so once you need to start seperating the fry, they go in the 1/2 gallons until they are sold or whatever? Just curious ... like I said in your other post I just have to know the why's and hows! lol

eta: and the adult males are going in the 2 gallons?

the last edit: Oh! I know those now, yes they are practically 100% clear, I remember looking at those when i was looking for some storage ones. Those are perfect!!

10. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

Yep there is an adult male in each of them! Yes again about the fry. Once the males start acting like big boys...fighting LOL...they go into the 1/2 gallon cups to finish growing out. I do have 3 younger fry in cups that are floating inthe big fry tank right now though.. MM suggested I go ahead and cup those 3 now.. She said they should grow like weeds now!

11. cajunfiberco

Got it! Thanks for answering and putting up with my never ending curiosity ;) I swear I must have been a cat in a former life or something

To clarify it for me though, the 2 gallons are for the males you plan to keep, as pets, breeders, whatever? That is what I am assuming anyway .. and then the fry in the 1/2 gallon to sell ... makes sense now. sometimes I'm so :;dk

Ya know, I think I will go ahead and get one of these for Patch .. do you think they can be heated alright with no issues? Like the heater wouldn't melt it or anything?

And then if that boy doesn't spawn for you (sorry but I am crossing all my fingers he doesn't LOL) I am thinking that will be his home as well.... why no I don't plan out the future at all... ;D

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  12. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

Lol! He isn't the only one being bad right now! T
    My black copper hm is the most violent male I have seen so far! I have been trying for months to spawn him but no luck there either! He builds the best nests I have ever seen but then he tries to kill every female I have put him with... Curiosity is not a problem with me!! I am definitely more curious than is good for me!

13. cajunfiberco

Oh wow... that boy is really aggressive! Are you going to continue trying to breed him?

14. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

he is actually in the spawn tank now. This is the day he should spawn if he is going to...I am sitting right by the tank so I can pull them both if it gets too rough, which it is looking like it is going to....

15. cajunfiberco

Aw :( I'd llove to see the babies my black copper would produce, he's so pretty

16. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Hmmm... I'm trying to think of ways to help you out Critter but I'm kinda drawing a blank, I don't doubt your conditioning.... can the water move between the females container and his at all? Maybe some more "hormonal" rather then only visual prior to release would help get him in the mood without her being at risk...

17. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

The unexpected has happened...THEY ARE SPAWNING!!! I was about to pull then and then about 20 minutes ago, he stopped chasing and started getting down to business!! I haven't seen any eggs yet, but they are busily embracing as I type so I expect her to start releasing eggs any time now!

18. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

WoooHoooo!!!
    Glad to hear it's going right now!
    The silly boy just needed to grow up a bit first :p

19. OP
    OP
    critter_fritter79

yep...I think what he was doing was guarding the nest from the female BEFORE he put the eggs in...looks like he got the order right this time...oh yeah...WE HAVE EGGS!

20. cajunfiberco

Whoo hoo!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice