New Shrimp Dying Off

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A friend of mine ordered some Sakura Orange neos but she wasn't ready for them yet so she asked me to hold them for her while her tank cycles.

The seller is Aquatic Arts and they're having a moving sale so that's why she and I decided to buy some. I got Sapphire Blues and Sakura Yellows. The Oranges are in a Finnex breeder hang on box with a small powerhead on a 5 gallon with a sponge filter that has been cycled and established for at least a year. The Sapphires are in the 5g.

She ordered 15 Oranges and me 20 Sapphires. 3 Oranges died in shipping and 1 Sapphire died in shipping. Okay, that's to be expected. But over the last several days, they've been dying off one by one. They don't show any apparent parasites but they've been turning white as they start to die and become completely white internally upon death.

Right now the count is at 8 Oranges left alive and 18 Sapphires still alive. I did a search and found a thread on a forum saying the same thing happening to their Oranges from the same seller. I am suspecting it's a bacterial infection of some kind. Possibly muscular necrosis.

Another site I found lists Baytril as a medical treatment for muscular necrosis but also lists Tetracycline for bacterial infections.

My question is which medication would be the most effective at treating both of the possible causes? Baytril, which would have to be shipped or Tetracycline which I believe PetSmart sells and would be available immediately?

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
A friend of mine ordered some Sakura Orange neos but she wasn't ready for them yet so she asked me to hold them for her while her tank cycles.

The seller is Aquatic Arts and they're having a moving sale so that's why she and I decided to buy some. I got Sapphire Blues and Sakura Yellows. The Oranges are in a Finnex breeder hang on box with a small powerhead on a 5 gallon with a sponge filter that has been cycled and established for at least a year. The Sapphires are in the 5g.

She ordered 15 Oranges and me 20 Sapphires. 3 Oranges died in shipping and 1 Sapphire died in shipping. Okay, that's to be expected. But over the last several days, they've been dying off one by one. They don't show any apparent parasites but they've been turning white as they start to die and become completely white internally upon death.

Right now the count is at 8 Oranges left alive and 18 Sapphires still alive. I did a search and found a thread on a forum saying the same thing happening to their Oranges from the same seller. I am suspecting it's a bacterial infection of some kind. Possibly muscular necrosis.

Another site I found lists Baytril as a medical treatment for muscular necrosis but also lists Tetracycline for bacterial infections.

My question is which medication would be the most effective at treating both of the possible causes? Baytril, which would have to be shipped or Tetracycline which I believe PetSmart sells and would be available immediately?
I'm not sure what advice to give on the medication, but definitely let Quatic Arts know what's happening. I've ordered over half of my current stock from them and never had any problems. They are a wonderful family owned business, and I'm sure if there is anything wrong on their end, they would jump at the chance to fix it.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Firstly, I am really sorry to hear about the shrimp.

Could you tell us bit more what were the parameters of the water (higher nitrates can be a problem for shrimp)? Did you measure KH, GH and TDS? Shrimp can be so sensitive (even the neos) if any of the parameters are less than ideal it may explain some of the losses.

Baba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have both variants from Aquatic Arts too. I bought the Sapphire Blue during their moving sale as well. One died during shipping and so far another one as far as I can tell.
The one which died in the tank didn't turned white but I don't know how long between death and me finding it.
I assume they are from the same batch but I don't see the rapid die off you observe.

My oranges are about 2 month with me and thriving.

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Firstly, I am really sorry to hear about the shrimp.

Could you tell us bit more what were the parameters of the water (higher nitrates can be a problem for shrimp)? Did you measure KH, GH and TDS? Shrimp can be so sensitive (even the neos) if any of the parameters are less than ideal it may explain some of the losses.
Turns out my GH/KH kit is expired so my GH wasn't returning a result. I'm ordering a new kit since I couldn't find it anywhere in town.

Here's the results of the rest of the water parameters.

Screenshot_20180716-153306.png

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your TDS is low should be around 225. If you dripped them slowly they should survive but it's no ideal, I don't think that would account for your loss though and if others are dying from the same dealer ide be more Inclined to trace back to him especially if there are reports of others dying in transit

FishRFriendz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AA import shrimp from Asia. It's not unusual for a pretty signification proportion of their neos to die after reaching you.
A year ago I bought their 10pc deal on the Sky Blue Velvet. 12 arrived and over the following week only 6-7 survived. I've also bought shrimp from another importer and the results are roughly the same.

Nothing to worry about, just order double of what you actually want when you get them from an importer. Just like flipping houses, they're just flipping aquatics. You're bound to find a few dead bodies under the boards.

Just stay the course, provide clean water and food. And target the ideal parameters since you'll never find out what they were bred in Asia. KH 3-5, GH 8, TDS 200-250. Better to go with higher GH than lower, easier for the shrimp to get used to more than less.

You'll be fine as long as you don't actually see parasites.

https://www.discobee.com/blogs/news/17030569-dwarf-shrimp-water-parameters

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I thought I would provide an update. I've successfully eradicated the infection with Furan-2. I had a few more deaths after I made the original post but I have not had any new deaths after the second day of treating with Furan-2.

I even have shrimplets from both the Sapphire Blues and Sakura Oranges that are housed separately.

Best of all, I didn't have to restart my cycle. The new Furan-2 is completely filter safe.

Baba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks for sharing. I didn't even know what Furan-2 was.
How did you determined you had an infection?

FishRFriendz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Were you able to see the parasites? I'm pretty sure they're grown outdoors in ponds in Asia so it's not uncommon for imports to have parasites. And thats part of why I don't sell shrimp from my cull ponds, tho I get lots of inquiries about buying my culls whenever ppl see pics/videos of my culls in the pond. They're especially red from the natural sunlight, which is why imports look so good and have so many associated problems.

Bright red at cull prices?!

Nope I don’t sell culls, sorry.

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It wasn't parasites. It was bacterial. The inside of the shrimp were turning a milky white color when they were infected and slowly dying off one by one. Upon death, they were almost completely milky white. I removed any dead or dying that I saw immediately because it can spread when other shrimp eat the dead.

Since I dosed with Furan-2 and did that, the rest of the shrimp have remained clear inside and no one has any white insides. The muscular necrosis is gone. Furan-2 is both a gram-positive and a gram-negative antibacterial medication. It works with both internal and external bacteria.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom