New setup, 29 Gallon Tank 

monk-fish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey there, I'm new to fish keeping and have set up a 29 gallon semi-planted tank:

currently occupied by:
1x Gold Gourami
2x Bristlenose
2x Male Guppy
3x Peppered Cory
7x Zebra Danios

is this overstocked? and if not any suggestions of 1 last fish(or pair) that would live happily with these guys?

cheers

phishyitis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fishlore!....Great looking tank,nice and natural looking.I would add at least 2 more corys.I don't think your over stocked.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
phishyitis said:
Welcome to Fishlore!....Great looking tank,nice and natural looking.I would add at least 2 more corys.I don't think your over stocked.
+1 ^_^ maybe a couple more guppies too. they tend to be nippy, and keeping them in a group helps keep that down

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Nice tank! Good to see a Kiwi on here, too!

I wouldn't add any more large fish - gold gouramis are a variant of the Blue, and they get quite large (6in). 29 gallon is enough for one fish that size, but I wouldn't risk another personally.

Agree with the guppy and cory additions!

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

monk-fish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks for the advice will look at getting them some more friends..

also a school of really small fish? maybe 5/6 small tetras would they fit in all right?

i mean like a proper tight swimming group that stick together as my Danios are more often than not swimming around on there own.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore.
Your tank looks very nice. I like the Ambulia along the sides.

I agree that a couple more Cories would be a good idea. I personally wouldn't be worried about more Guppies. What I would do is remove one of the Bristlenoses. I've never had success keeping more than one Pleco per tank. They are very territorial with each other & can inflict some very serious wounds with their spines, sometimes they can even get tangled up with each other & need you to manually untangle them. Probalby not a problem while they are small but it will become a problem when they get bigger. I would use the extra space from removing a Bristlenose for a school of 6 Neon Tetras. They don't school particularly tightly but they do stay nice & small so you can add more of them than most other fish.

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fishlore.
nice looking tank.

monk-fish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
just woke this morning to find 1 of the guppys dead in the java moss....

not sure how this happened doesn't look like he got stuck.

sometimes the Zebra Danios chase the guppys, and some times the guppys chase the danios so i figured it wasn't anything i should be worried about...

any ideas what could of happened?

npandav011

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You might want to add a couple of female guppies as the male guppies will get aggressive. However with both sexes, fry is sure to come, which is something you will have to consider. Anyways, good luck! Nice tank!

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
npandav011 said:
You might want to add a couple of female guppies as the male guppies will get aggressive. However with both sexes, fry is sure to come, which is something you will have to consider. Anyways, good luck! Nice tank!
but with that many mouths, I'm pretty sure hardly any will make it, like maybe one every couple of months. besides, they're a good food source, all my fish like guppy fry (the adult guppies, included lol)

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads