New setup, just checking if this combination of fish will work.

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by alakasam44, Nov 1, 2016.

1. alakasam44

alakasam44New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Hello, I had an aquarium when I was a kid but the fish always died, and here I am trying again! Anyways, it started with a Betta, but I felt bad keeping him in a bowl so got a 20 gal aquarium. Now I want more fish (of course). So, I understand that Bettas can be aggressive, so I've been researching and decided I want corydoras and harlequin rasboras. I read that these are both shoaling fish, and like to be in big groups, so I plan on getting 6 corys and 6 rasboras. I have a large sponge filter with 2 sponges, and the filter that came with the aquarium. I am also aware of nitrogen cycle and am testing the water. My question, does this setup sound ok? If so, what kind of corys would you recommend? Thanks!

2. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    WELCOME to Fishlore!!!

Is this a 20 gallon long or high? Also just to say 6 is actually a small school. A big school would be having 30+ :) . For corys you should get sterbai corys which will be able to handle the higher temperature. keep in mind the tank should be at 78F. If you want a really nice schooling fish I suggest rummy nose tetras! They are tight schoolers compare to other fishes out there

3. OP
    OP
    alakasam44

Ratings:
    +11
    It's a 20 gallon high. So you think that rasboras would be fine with a Betta? Is the amount of fish fine?

4. esoper

esoperValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +7
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The cories and the betta should do fine together. The rasboras will probably also work, but make sure to keep an eye on things when you first add them--you want to make sure they are not nipping at the betta (more likely) or the betta isn't being aggressive with them (less likely). Since it's a 20 gallon high, not long, I would go with six of each schooler, even though usually the more the merrier. (they do need swimming room, and they swim side to side not up and down).

What substrate do you have? The cories will prefer a sand substrate, but a really fine gravel should be o.k. I would add the rasboras first, and maybe in two groups of three, a couple weeks apart (to allow the BB to catch up to the new bioload). Then, do the same with the cories. A dwarf cory breed such as panda cories or pygmy cories would be good, since the foot print of the tank isn't huge, but you could go with bigger cories as long as you don't get huge ones.

5. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I would say you can do 8-10 harlequin rasboras, harlequins are small which is why you can do more than just 6.

6. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,435
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I wouldn't do a mid level schooling fish with a betta in this size tank. A shoal or sterbai or aeneus corys should be fine though.

7. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    It depends on the betta really! I had a female betta and 10 serpae tetras for 2.5 years in a 20 high! The female and serpae never had a problem and both respected each other. They both ate together also.

8. OP
    OP
    alakasam44

Ratings:
    +11
    Well... my Betta, named Dave, still attacks his reflection in the tank, and swims along the side doing that. Sooo... I'm a bit worried.

9. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +3,081
    Experience:
    4 years
    Welcome to Fishlore :)

If you have doubts already about your betta with other fish, I'd get him his own 5-10g tank and stock your 20g differently. The height on that tank could be an issue for him anyway.

10. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,924
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Agree. seems like your betta won't be a good candidate for a community tank. Most bettas aren't so don't worry :) . There is a $1 per gallon sale till Nov 5 at Petco so buying a 10 gallon shouldn't be a problem!

Become a Fishlore Member