New Setup 30 Gallon Help 

Venon17

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, New here.
Got a 30 gallon tank, has a few plants in it, its going to be a planted tank. I have 4 male guppies in it and 5 neon tetras ( they came from my 10g betta tank, my betta killed one of them. use to be six so i had to transfer them to the 30 ). Now Im thinking of slowy adding new fish, I need some idea. was thinking of getting some schooling fish, some corys and maybe a showcase fish a gourami maybe. Thanks guys

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A school of corys and a Gourami sound fine to me. Maybe an angel fish instead of the Gourami if you're looking for alternative ideas. I'd personally bump up the number of neons. I always think more neons is better.

blindfaith429

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'd get more neons, and a half-dozen cories.

I don't know if you need a showcase fish depending on the coloring of your guppies

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore! I hope you find the site helpful.

Venon17

Reaction score
blindfaith429 said:
I'd get more neons, and a half-dozen cories.

I don't know if you need a showcase fish depending on the coloring of your guppies
Can i add different kind of tetras? like keep the 5 neon and maybe add some embers, and can i mix the corys species? like 3 species each thanks for reply sir

Shreyawagle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Venon17 said:
Can i add different kind of tetras? like keep the 5 neon and maybe add some embers, and can i mix the corys species? like 3 species each thanks for reply sir
Neons will not school with other tetras and since they are also known to nip fins, they will attack your guppies if there are not enough of them. When it comes to schooling fish, i personally feel 10 or more of the same kind is better. And different type of coris or not enough of the same kind, won't school together and they might hide all the time. Different type coris will live together but it's not usually recommend Unless you have minimum 6 of each kind.

Noroomforshoe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You should really have 6 or more of each schooling or shoaling fish. Neon twetra and ember tetra are not the same species. neon tetra and black neon tetra are not even the same species. But there are a few species that have color variations. you can mix the color variations, for instance 3 albino x-ray tetra and 3 regular exray tetra would make one school. Or 3 tiger barbs, 3 green tiger barbs, 3 albino tiger barbs and 3 glofish tiger barbs would make one school.

Also -
A 30 gallon is really not big enough for an angel fish. But A gourami could work.
if you go with fairly small species, You have room for 2 schools of the small tetra.
you could do a school of 6-8 neons and a school of 6-8 ember tetras and a shoal of 6 dwarf cories

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Noroomforshoe said:
You should really have 6 or more of each schooling or shoaling fish. Neon twetra and ember tetra are not the same species. neon tetra and black neon tetra are not even the same species. But there are a few species that have color variations. you can mix the color variations, for instance 3 albino x-ray tetra and 3 regular exray tetra would make one school. Or 3 tiger barbs, 3 green tiger barbs, 3 albino tiger barbs and 3 glofish tiger barbs would make one school.

Also -
A 30 gallon is really not big enough for an angel fish. But A gourami could work.
if you go with fairly small species, You have room for 2 schools of the small tetra.
you could do a school of 6-8 neons and a school of 6-8 ember tetras and a shoal of 6 dwarf cories
You can also mix black and white skirt tetras.

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Just be sure the cories you choose are a warmer water one... trilineatus, sterbai, or bronze are good options. Most others need cooler water than neons... its recommended to have a solid school of cories, i have a mixed group without problems and they do mix together fine... but i believe my case is abnormal. So, id choose 6-8 of the same species.

Alternatively you could do 6 java loaches or 6 kuhli loaches.

With gourami its most recommended to go with a trio of honey gourami as theyre healthier and usually much better mannered. Alternatively you could go with sparkling gourami instead. Tbh theyre really pretty little fish, but do best with lots of plants

Fljoe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Venon17 said:
Hey Everyone, New here.
Got a 30 gallon tank, has a few plants in it, its going to be a planted tank. I have 4 male guppies in it and 5 neon tetras ( they came from my 10g betta tank, my betta killed one of them. use to be six so i had to transfer them to the 30 ). Now Im thinking of slowy adding new fish, I need some idea. was thinking of getting some schooling fish, some corys and maybe a showcase fish a gourami maybe. Thanks guys
Venon17 said:
I agree to bump the Neon Tetras. They are more comfortable in a larger group. They are a schooling fish that you are looking for.

Imjustbored

Reaction score
Ram cichlids might be cool. Some people say gourami can get a little aggressive especially bigger ones like the blue and golden gourami, but I keep a couple with my tetras, loaches, and corydoras.

CrazedHoosier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gouramis I would recommend for a 30 gallon would be pearl, thick-lipped, and honey. They’re also all social gouramis, so you could get a few of them. Avoid three-spot gouramis, dwarf gouramis, and paradise fish. They’re all at risk of being aggressive, and dwarf gouramis are also known to be sick at the pet store.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom