New Set Up.

1. M

Mattyg772 New Member Member

hi. I have a hexagonal tank, which I believe is 77 litre. I am in the process of rebuilding and am seeking some advice on what the best fish would be to stock it with, and how many. I'm kind of leaning more towards a species set up as apposed to a community. It will be running with an under gravel filter with 5 mill gravel, an internal filter and a large air tube. Decoration wise I have a hollow shell and some bog wood. Also would like some abvice on what plants I can use. I did read that as it's an undergravel filter there isn't much in the way of plants to choose from. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Okay :) Dealing with 20 gallons, that's a good size!
    What fish do you like? I don't recommend the undergravel filter, they have more issues than regular filters will.

I want to ask you what fish you like first, then I can suggest options!

3. OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubble Well Known Member Member

Whats so bad about under gravel filter? All I hear are bad things? Why? You would have a really clean tank if you had one with a filter though.

4. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Valued Member Member

UGFs have their strengths and weaknesses just like anything else. In a high tank you get much better circulation (and filtration with a HOB/Can). They also suck to clean and you can't tell if something is wrong, and you have limited substrate choices. Paired with an internal, I'd set the filter up as high as possible and test it out (drop some crushed flake food in and watch it circulate) before making up my mind.

5. OP
    OP
    M

Mrs wants a plec. I'd like something like an eel. Any advice really on what's best. I've been told that a hexagonal tank isn't very good for certain fish. Plus being as it's a deep tank I think different level feeders would be a good idea. Aquatic frogs was another possible. I did have the tank running before with the ugf and circulation was fine, food sank to bottom. I was using fine gravel though so it kept getting blocked. I've got courser gravel now though. Also will be running an interpret pf3 I think it is.

6. Mick Frost

20g is really too small for a freshwater eel. There are some smaller similar fish (Weather Loaches come to mind). A common Pleco will also quickly outgrow a 20g, though there are Bristlenose and dwarf varieties that may suit (I don't deal with a whole lot of Plecos).

7. OP
    OP
    M

What woul you recommend for this style tank? Also what about plants?

8. Mick Frost

With the UGF, stem plants will do ok. Scarlet temple might require a lighting upgrade, but there are some less demanding ones.
    As for fish, its really about what you like. Theres a smaller version of almost anything.

9. OP
    OP
    M

Ok. Thank you for all the advice. I'll get everything set up and running then go from there. Any advice on what's best to clean tank with? Was going to use a tiny bit of washing up liquid and thorough rinse.

10. Mick Frost

I use plain old Sunlight, but anything unscented should be fine with a good rinse or three.