New Set Up. Tell Me If I Am Wrong!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by James105, Aug 5, 2019.

1. James105

James105New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    3 years
    Hi Guys,

I have recently set up a 125 Fluval Roma that is currently cycling. It has a Eheim 350 classic filter installed and I have a U3 if it is needed. For substrate, I have used Caribsea eco-complete.

I have researched and researched on my stock, and I have come to the following list:

3x Pearl Gourami
    7x Neon Dwarf Rainbow
    3x Bolivian Ram
    10x Neon Tetras
    8x Checkered Barb
    1x Bristlenose
    6x Dwarf Chain Loach

I am hoping I have got it perfect, but I would much appriciate if you could tell me if you can see any issues with my setup

2. AJE

AJEFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,877
    Experience:
    1 year
    Is that gallons?

3. OP
    OP
    James105

James105New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    3 years
    Hi mate!

No it's a 33.5 gallon tank. I put the list into AquaAdvisor which said it would be at 145% stock level. Given it has a pretty big filter installed my assumption is that it will be ok.

4. treadingwater

treadingwaterValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +161
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If you want to overstock your fish, that's your choice however, going by the controversial inch per gallon rule, at full size, you're looking at 84 inches of fish in a 33 gallon (that's without decorations and anything else that's going to take away water volume and swim space in your tank.)

You need to ask yourself if your fish are going to be comfortable and have enough room to swim. You'll still need to do more water changes as well. What did AqAdvisor say about your water change frequency with the filter you chose?

5. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,201
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Many people believe that with enough filtration they can overstock there tanks. And there are times when you want an overstocked tank. Apparently you would want to overstock African Cichlid tanks for example.

But assuming the fish you want to stock your tank with will be able to tolerate crowded conditions, the other thing you need to keep in mind is overfiltration will allow the tank to process more ammonia and the resultant nitries, but that will mean there will be much more nitrate being produced. So you would most likely have to be upping your water change frequency to a few times a week.

6. OP
    OP
    James105

James105New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    3 years
    Thanks for your points gents! I definitely do not want to overstock my tank, it's cruel as well as hard work. I have swapped out the dwarf rainbows for some spotted blue eyes which are smaller and I may leave out the tetras as well. I have put this into Aquadvisor, which now says I am at 106% stocking level.

Hopefully you guys agree that would work well?

7. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,930
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I would drop the pearl gouramis. They need a longer tank and prefer warmer water to the rest of your stock.
    The footprint of the tank is the bare minimum I would keep dwarf chain loaches in. You could still keep them and be ok but I prefer to give fish more room if possible so I would personally swap them for something else.
    I would stick to 1 larger mid dwelling school rather than 3 small schools. The fish behave more naturally and are happier in bigger groups and you don't really have the space for 3 schools.

You could do this at 72-75f. It would be fully stocked imo
    1 dwarf gourami or 3 honey gouramis
    2 bolivian rams or 1 bristlenose pleco
    10 neon tetras or checkered barbs
    10 spotted blue eyes
    8 dwarf chain loaches or 12 panda cories

It is better to understock than to overstock. Overstocking means you need heavy filtration and frequent large water changes. It can stress the fish out to be so crowded. Disease often spreads faster in heavily stocked tanks too. In the stocking I suggested above it wouldn't hurt to drop some of the fish.

8. Feohw

FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,333
    Experience:
    1 year
    With the loaches, barbs, blue eyes, rams, gourami and pleco I got 121% stock with 106% filtration capacity. I don't tend to trust aqadvisor too much though, I use it as a very basic view of where the stock is, but not as a final say. Is there going to be plants?

I'd also keep just a pair of rams in this size a tank. Making sure that you know how to sex them well before you go. Three could work if there's plenty of plants and decor to block line of sight and multiple possible territory locations too. But unless that's the case it would be best for just two of them.

9. OP
    OP
    James105

James105New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    3 years
    I really like that list, it seems to "flow" better than my original. Thank you! any reason why It would be the Bolivan rams OR the bristlenose?

10. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,930
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    You could have both but they both stay near the bottom and can both be quite territorial. If the rams pair up they could be even more territorial. Plecos have quite a heavy bioload too so if you were to get one then it may be an idea to lose some other fish, wouldn't necessarily have to be the rams though.

11. OP
    OP
    James105

James105New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    3 years
    Yes I saw the website more as a cautious guideline than a black and white rule book. I will be planting the tank enough to break sightlines along with lots of hiding caves. I was going to have 1 male Bolivian Ram along with 2 females. You don't advise this?

Ok I get you. I already have the pleco and he is my prize buddy, so I will not be parting with him. If I wanted to do both, do you reccomend a male and a femal pair?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2019
  12. Feohw

FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,333
    Experience:
    1 year
    I have a male and three females together in a 200l (53g) tank. They are fine together but they can be a bit territorial, especially when breeding. They don't mind other fish but can chase one another a little bit. Nothing too bad, they even chill together at times. Even so in a tank of that size I would only do a male and female. Another female could get stressed out too much when the others are breeding. Again my rams are never very bad with one another and no damage is done even when breeding, but stress can be a killer and mine are in a larger tank. Likely with plenty of cover and plants a third could live in there happily, but for the sake of surety I'd do two.

Even with a male and a female they aren't guaranteed to pair up. So make sure there are areas of the tank where they can both set up territories and spend their time. Likely they would pair eventually though.

Just make sure to know how to sex reliably if you get them. For me the breeding tube is most reliable. A males tube would look like the first pic, a females like the second.
    Screenshot_20190528-233355.Screenshot_20190627-014930.

13. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,535
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Much better!

14. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,338
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I just had to agree with @Feohw, I also like to keep a minimum of 3 females to a male. I keep Blue rams, but the way Feohw explained it is exactly the way they are too. In a 33g, I would only keep a male/ female pair. I have to replace my male, but my 3 females still chase eachother often in my 120g!

Become a Fishlore Member