New Set-Up Parameters

nhultine

Have a new set I started Monday. It’s a 54 gallon corner that I am using as a planted scape and fish-less as of now. Wanting a good few cycles before I start introducing fish. My test today indicated that my ammonia is at .25ppm, nitrite is 0 and nitrates were at almost 20ppm, according to API’s master test kit. I am curious as to what I should be expecting as I progress and what % water recommendation would be best moving forward. I took water from an already established tank (roughly 10 gallons), sponge filter from that tank, and Carib-sea eco complete substrate with some Monte Carlo, penny wort and water sprite to start. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 7

Dunk2

What is the ammonia source? And what do you mean by wanting a few good cycles?

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

What are you using as an ammonia source? Often if the tank is fishless you dont really need to do water changes until it is time to add fish or unless your Ph drops below 7.

Upvote 0

nhultine

What is the ammonia source? And what do you mean by wanting a few good cycles?
As of Monday, just food

Upvote 0

Dunk2

As of Monday, just food

Fish food works, but it’s kinda hard to target dose a certain level of ammonia IMO.

Because you transferred things from an established tank, the cycle on the new tank should at least be jump started.

To the extent possible with fish food, I’d suggest getting your ammonia level up to around 2 - 3 ppm. Just be careful not to add too much food.

Upvote 0

nhultine

Fish food works, but it’s kinda hard to target dose a certain level of ammonia IMO.

Because you transferred things from an established tank, the cycle on the new tank should at least be jump started.

To the extent possible with fish food, I’d suggest getting your ammonia level up to around 2 - 3 ppm. Just be careful not to add too much food.

Would you suggest using something like Dr. Tim’s to increase the amount a little faster? Or continue to slowly add some food daily?

Upvote 0

Dunk2

Would you suggest using something like Dr. Tim’s to increase the amount a little faster? Or continue to slowly add some food daily?

My personal preference would be Dr. Tim’s, but slowly adding fish food would also work.

Upvote 0

nhultine

My personal preference would be Dr. Tim’s, but slowly adding fish food would also work.
Really appreciate the advice. Would you suggest bottom feeders first or no?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Azulaqua
Replies
Views
inari
  • Question
Replies
Views
Wouldratherwatchaquarium