new set up, am i doing it right?

tony toolbox

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi all. thanks for looking.
i have a tropical 140 litre tank. i bought it working, and was told it needed a good clean, which i did. drained, new water, scrubbed filters and ornaments with soap, new sand.

ahem. i now know better! managed to start the cycle, 50% water changes, stress zyme plus, stress coat plus, and water tests every 3 days. i now have low ammonia, which is the thing i struggled with. test kit arriving tomorrow for nitrates, ph, and nitrites(learnt so much from this site!)

tank now 4 weeks old.

i do have 6 live plants, 6 fake, split shipwreck, lumpwood, hollow rock feature, plant pot, stone rocks, diver with barrels, and some ornaments to hide in.

anyhow, my loving family and friends decided to buy me some fish, was borderline ready for some, but got lots.

difficult to wait!

started with 3 tiger barbs, a pakistani loach, 1 shrimp thing, and a large rummy nosed tetra. was given 17 small neon tetras 2 weeks ago.

nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia now good, hasnt been though. sure sign cycle is well established, so im told.

today i was given 4 more small rummy nosed tetras, 2 see through weird things, 4 tiny(15mm) sucker things, which look like tiny scooter fish. i had added 6 new tiger barbs yesterday, emergency really, as i lost 1 barb, and the other 2 were fighting, no group.

added stress zyme and stress coat. will be monitoring ammonia closely.

right, questions!

was 12 new fish, plus 4 suckers, too much in 2 days?

are any of them live bearers?

how high do i need my filter pump set? it came with the tank, fluval, 240V, 50Hz, 14 W. on min at the moment, as creates quite a current!

should i add some bubbles, common opinion says no?

is there an accurate way of guestimating how much flake to give them? i have read 1 flake per fish, all they can eat in 4 minutes, 3 minutes twice a day. stuck really?

running at 78 degrees C. ok i hope?

tank has been modified from origional light control panel, to 1 switch. this brings on 1 white, and 1 blue light. is this ok?

and how would i know if my tank was overstocked. looks busy now with those barbs, wont sit still, though not nipping anyone else, others are wary!

8 barbs, 17 neons, 5 rummy nosed, 2 see through things, 4 tiny sucker boys, 1 pakistani loach, and a 30mm shrimp.
140 litres

i do have an empty 2nd tank, and contemplating seting up just for the barbs. we'll see how it goes.

you need to bear in mind, when i was learning, as a youngster, my mother mixed every fish, treated nothing, and maintained nothing for years, and always kept her fish!!!

any help appreciated.

thanks

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!

1) Yep, for sure. What kind of sucker fish?

2) No, except the see through weird things. Not sure what they are, the name escapes me, so, so does whether it's a live bearer. My guess is no.

3) Not sure

4) Bubbles are a personal choice.

5) A good guide is how much they'll eat in a couple of minutes. You'll get used to how much you should feed.

6) Probably. Look up the fish and most are in that range.

7) I don't know that much about lighting. It should be ok, unless you want live plants. Then you have to get into wattage etc.

8) It would help to know what kind of sucker fish you have and what the see through things are (glass catfish perhaps?)
Tiger barbs can be pretty nippy, putting them in the other tank might be a good choice. How many gallons is it?

If you post some pics in the Fish ID forum, the members can try to ID them for you.

Good luck!

tony toolbox

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i'll try for some pics tomorrow. the suckers are tiny, and should stay that way! i think.
140 litres is around 31 gallons.
the see through fish are around 30 mm (1 1/4 inches) not too large. they seem to have quite long whiskers though!
the suckers are 1/2 inch at best, brown and speckled.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The sucker fish sound like they could be otos and weird see-through things with whiskers sound like glass catfish.

I do bubbles because the extra surface agitation increases the oxygen in the water.

Otherwise I can't add much else to what Lucy said.

You've got quite a mix there!

-Lisa

tony toolbox

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks each!
looked up a glass catfish, and as it happens, they are, 1 point to you!

i've changed my mind on the pakistani loach, and decided he is a leapord catfish again!

the small suckers look similar in shape to a julii cory, though i'd say my speckles are more like blurred stripes!

when you say " quite a mix" lisa, do you think i should move the barbs? though they look nice, the tank seems a little buisier than i'd hoped, as the barbs never sit still. bit worried about stressing the others, as i feel they always have 1 eye on the barbs?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Tony Toolbox,

Personally I think it would be a good idea to house the Barbs in a tank to themselves. They can be quiet the little fin nippers and I feel they should be in a species only tank.

Your first paragraph scared me a bit Using soap can be very risky Please don't use soap on anything aquarium related. Soap can wipe out your tank in just minutes if you aren't careful. Too, soap just isn't necessary. Some warm water and maybe a soft brush will clean everything that needs to be cleaned

I hope you can share some photos with us sometime!

Ken

tony toolbox

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
just done an ammonia test, 36 hours since the new additions, i reckon i'm on 0.1-0.2 , so happy with that.
have taken 100 blurry picks, may have 5 ok ones!. wont link at minute, so i'll try again tomorrow.
still tryingto learn not to starve them, may up feed a bit, lasts a minute, maybe two max, with them greedy barbs!
thanks all.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's always better to underfeed than to overfeed. Since you have real plants, your fish can nibble on the microorganisms on them.

I agree with Ken that the tiger barbs are probably best on their own. I could see one eating a few neon tetras given the chance.

I know you probably don't want to hear it but you should probably do a water change since you do have ammonia. And you could also fast the fish for a day or two until your biological filter can catch up, since food = waste = ammonia.

-Lisa

tony toolbox

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi all. did do a 50% water change, added stress coat to fresh water before adding to the tank, added stress zyme to accelerate bacteria, all went well.
7 days later, all tests are good, but lost a small rummy nosed tetra, and a glass catfish within hours of each other yestrday! tested the water, all still ok, and lost nothing else today.
the 8 barbs seem at peace, and have settled well. still have 15 of the 17 neons, not too sure when they went!
i am giving them a generous pinch of flake food in the mornings, they do seem to eat it within the minute though. they dont seem to be touching the plants.
still not sure if i'm over or underfeeding them, as the 2 i've lost are among the last 2 in the food fight.

Kronnn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just one thing that hasn't been mentioned, you say you scrubbed your filter and ornaments with soap? For future reference from reading stuff on here soap is a big hazard to your fish, it can be quite toxic and very very hard to remove. Could be causing some of your problems, I don't know. Anyway good luck with your tank, hope everything works out.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom