new set-up advice needed 75 Gallon Tank

1. newfishgal Initiate Member

I'm a first timer and am doing research for building a new aquarium for my 4 yr old son. I'm planning on building a well planted 75 gallon fresh water tank. I would like to have an "active" tank with 3-4 schools of fish. The two schools that my son is most insistent on are (1) Rosy Barbs (n=6-8) and Angelfish (n=6). Will these fish do well together? Are the Rosy Barbs too active for the angelfish? Is it impossible to have a school of cardinal tetras (n=10-15) with them? Thanks so much in advance for your advice.

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Welcome to FishLore!
    Congrats on doing research before adding fish to your tank.
    Other members are better at stocking advice so I'll leave that to them.
    In your aqaurium info, you didn't answer the question about the nitrogen cycle.
    Here's a link explaining it: Nitrogen cycle

Cycling a tank with fish leaves them open to illness and disease.
    I hope you consider cycling with out fish in the tank.
    Here are Four Methods of Fish Less Cycling
    If you want fish by Christmas another option is to use Tetra SafeStart.
    Many members have had luck cycling with it. Don't be fooled by the majority of bacterial additives that claim to cycle a tank.

:) Sorry, I know it's info you didn't ask for but cycling a tank properly is one of the most important things you can do to have success.

I know your boy will love having a fish tank. Best of luck. :)

3. click Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! You are in the right place to get the best advice. Lucy has you covered with the nitrogen cycle. Unfortunately I am not good at stocking questions but I can give you one solid advice. Don't believe everything the pet store staff tells you, just write it down and research what they said. Most of them just want to make a sale and there's very few of them who are actually knowledgeable and offer you the proper advice. I had to return many items when I started my hobby about 2 months ago since they were either useless or not good for what I needed. All of the returned items were bought at the advice of the salesperson "oh, this is what you need...it works perfectly" or "no, no need to cycle, use this product here" etc.

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore! I have no experience with rosy barbs, so unfortunately I can't help answer your question, but Lucy has you covered on the nitrogen cycle and I'm sure another member will be along soon that can help you out.

5. phil saint Member Member

hi and welcome......i have 10 neon tetras (very much like cardinals) in with 2 angels and they are fine but i did pick the angels specifically because they where raised in a tank with smaller fish. i also have 4 green tiger barbs and 4 dwarf gouramis and they dont bother the neons either, from what iv seen in my tank the angels are more interested in each other than anything else, same with the tigers and the gouramis.

hope that helps.

phil.

6. newfishgal Initiate Member

Many thanks to all. I didn't answer the nitrogen cycle question earlier because I know some but not all. My plan is to set up the tank for 2-3 weeks before fish. And then introduce one school at a time every two weeks. This is my general impression but I know that I need to know more.
    Based on what you've said Phil, maybe if I buy the angels when quite small and young and put them in the tank last (i.e. after the cardinals) then they may be used to them by the time they are big enough to eat them?

7. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

Depending on how you plan to cycle the tank I would plan on closer to 6 weeks. If you had gravel or a filter from an established tank that you could use to seed yours it can be done quicker but with any of the fishless or fish in cycles 2-3 weeks would be very quick. And for some reason the bigger hurry you are in the slower the cycle goes. I had a tank going for 6 weeks and was still in the initial stage of the cycle. I ended up getting safe start to speed it up though. I don't know a lot about angels but I would not trust using Tetra Safe Start to cycle a tank with angels.
    Something else to think about once the tank is cycled you won't always want to add an entire school of fish at one time. If you add 2-3 angels then you will want to wait a week or two and then add some more. You can have problems adding too many fish at once even in a cycled tank.

8. rae64 Well Known Member Member

i think one of the best ways to cycle is with 100% pure ammonia. make sure it is pure, with no surfactants or perfumes. i havnt had experience with it (but will very soon!) but from what i have read it is clean, efficient, and builds a very strong bacterial colony. when you cycle with fish you have to keep the ammonia to a survivable level and therefore cannot feed your bacteria. without fish you can raise the temperature and get the ammonia high enough to support the bacteria.

as for your stocking, just be careful with angels and little fish. also, you might want to consider a little school of 5-6 cory cats and take off an angel. the cory cats are adorable, playful, and help clean up the food the angels miss. your 4 year old son will probobly like them. there are many types, (albino, peppered, panda, spotted, bronze, green, etc.) but dont forget ot give them an algae disk and some shrimp pellets a few times a week!

also, lucy gave you the fishlore link to fishless cycling. combining the methods of pure ammonia and seed material can cycle a tank really fast (like in a week or 2!) some pet stores will be glad to give you some olds filter media, some gravel, or let you have a clipping of a sponge filter from their established tanks. just be careful all the fish are healty in the tank, or you may introduce disease.

oh! one more thing... you should pick up the API MASTER test kit from your pet store to moniter water quality. this will let you know when your cycle is complete, and help you keep up with how things are going. be sure to keep us posted, and pics as soon as the tank is set up!!

9. newfishgal Initiate Member

Thank you SO much for the advice. I didn't mention the Cory school but they are definitely in the plan. I'm thinking Adolfo cory's if I can find them. I want to do a dark bottom so I think they'd look nice. One less angel is good to know too.

One more thing: I'm wondering whether red-blue columbian tetras would be good with angels. I'm thinking maybe these instead of the cardinals?

10. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Columbian tetras do well with angels, I've kept mine with angels in the past. They get quite a bit larger than cardinals, so you won't be able to stock as many.

11. phil saint Member Member

Glowlight tetras and black neon tetras would also go well.

phil.

12. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore!!!
    You sure are getting a lot of good stocking advice!!

Also add no fish until you are sure the tank has cycled as mentioned above. Be patient with the cycling!!! and it is hard not to just "try" a couple of fish....lol...but don't!!!

I think the rosy barbs and angels will be a good start up. I would suggest that you add the barbs or tetras first, depending on the size of the Angels you are getting. It seems to be better to get the little guys acclimated/adjusted to the tank first...as Angels can be nippy, especially to small newly added fish.

Rosey barbs and Angels will look very good together and the barbs are very active fish too...they will keep your son entertained....and a few nice cory catfish.

My 2 yr old grandson loves my 55 gallon...always wants to figure out which are the mommy's and which are the daddy's.

Have fun and enjoy this hobby...go slowly....

13. newfishgal Initiate Member

Mini update: We purchased the tank (75 gallon), filter (Rena XP3 external), heater, substrate (fancy black substrate for planted aquariums) on the 7th. Set it up on the 9th. Got the filter working on the 11th. I've been dosing daily with "Stability" and feeding with fish food every day. Added plants on the 13th and planted them on the 14th (low light and low CO2 fertilization plants, we can't afford the other right now; mostly anubias, java fern and some others that I can't remember the name). Water test last night had pH 7.6, no ammonium, no phosphate, some nitrite, and some nitrate. I'll try to post a picture soon. We are still waiting to add fish.

14. eiginh Well Known Member Member

If you can try, try not using stability as I read it does not cycle tanks properly and when it is not added every w/c it will crash the cycle. I do not have first hand experience with the product but I read many reviews that you need to continuously use the product.

Btw how much did you purchase your xp3 for?

15. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I totally agree about the stability, I'd not use it.