New Seachem Tidal Hob Filter

jmarks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Did anyone else see the sneaky release of Seachem's new HOB filter? Anyone happen to buy it? It appears to combine the best features of Aqueon Quietflows and Aquaclears! Features are unreal, heater clip, pump in water, built in skimmer, maintenance reminder, media basket, etc... Some serious R&D went into this thing. Thoughts?

Nicholas1234

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

bocat

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was all set to buy an Aquaclear 110 but I am intrigued by the Seachem.
Wish there were more reviews.

Piaelliott

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Pecktec did a review on YouTube.
I prefer canister filters. But Seachem Tidal seems to be the best HOB available, I would never buy one that doesn't turn on again after a blackout.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jmarks said:
Did anyone else see the sneaky release of Seachem's new HOB filter? Anyone happen to buy it? It appears to combine the best features of Aqueon Quietflows and Aquaclears! Features are unreal, heater clip, pump in water, built in skimmer, maintenance reminder, media basket, etc... Some serious R&D went into this thing. Thoughts?
jm...

Sounds good, but probably pricey. I've used a lot of different filters over the years and none keep the tank water very clean. I've found if I simply change out most of the water every few days, a couple of cheap sponge filters work as well as anything.

Old

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I believe el337 ordered one. Not sure if she's had a chance to form an opinion yet.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Just got mine yesterday. So far, I'm loving it! Definitely well made. Sturdy and sleek with a telescopic intake. Self primed immediately. The adjustable flow range is a lot wider than the AquaClears. The media basket didn't seem as big in the picture but surprisingly, I was able to fit everything from my AC50 to the new Seachem 55 plus their bag of matrix.

Pricey, yes, but considering all the features, it's worth it if you're not going to get a canister. I just ordered another one with a 15% off discount from DRs F&S.

Edit: Lchi87

barandemir09

Valued Member
Reaction score
el337 said:
Just got mine yesterday. So far, I'm loving it! Definitely well made. Sturdy and sleek with a telescopic intake. Self primed immediately. The adjustable flow range is a lot wider than the AquaClears. The media basket didn't seem as big in the picture but surprisingly, I was able to fit everything from my AC50 to the new Seachem 55 plus their bag of matrix.

Pricey, yes, but considering all the features, it's worth it if you're not going to get a canister. I just ordered another one with a 15% off discount from DRs F&S.

Edit: Lchi87
How's the filter going? I'm thinking of getting one but it's just the noise I'm scared of

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
barandemir09 said:
How's the filter going? I'm thinking of getting one but it's just the noise I'm scared of
I'm running two of them now (both 55's) in my tank. So far so good and they're virtually silent. The only noise you hear is from the water flowing out.

I'm thinking I should have maybe gotten a 110 instead of two 55's for my 46 gallon. I used to run an AC50 and AC70 and found the basket space was a lot larger in those. The L shape media baskets in the Tidals also make it a bit awkward when you also want to add cut-to-fit filter pads. I'm not a fan of their coarse sponge either. I feel like the AC sponges caught a lot more of the smaller debris so I might try cutting those up and adding that instead.

But overall, after 6 months, I do love them... I'm especially pleased with the self-prime feature and don't have to worry that they won't start back up after a power outage when I'm away.

barandemir09

Valued Member
Reaction score
el337 said:
I'm running two of them now (both 55's) in my tank. So far so good and they're virtually silent. The only noise you hear is from the water flowing out.

I'm thinking I should have maybe gotten a 110 instead of two 55's for my 46 gallon. I used to run an AC50 and AC70 and found the basket space was a lot larger in those. The L shape media baskets in the Tidals also make it a bit awkward when you also want to add cut-to-fit filter pads. I'm not a fan of their coarse sponge either. I feel like the AC sponges caught a lot more of the smaller debris so I might try cutting those up and adding that instead.

But overall, after 6 months, I do love them... I'm especially pleased with the self-prime feature and don't have to worry that they won't start back up after a power outage when I'm away.
I think two 55s are better than one 110, because if one breaks down, the other can sustain the tank for at least a day, till you get a new filter. But for me, one 110 or 75 will be enough, I'm going to run one of them on a 30-40 gallon tank and turn down the flow. thanks for the feed back

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
barandemir09 said:
I think two 55s are better than one 110, because if one breaks down, the other can sustain the tank for at least a day, till you get a new filter. But for me, one 110 or 75 will be enough, I'm going to run one of them on a 30-40 gallon tank and turn down the flow. thanks for the feed back
That's the reason why I got two filters instead of one... in case one fails. But when looking at pictures of the 110, the basket seems significantly larger. Or maybe I should have gotten one 75 and one 55? Oh well... too late. lol

barandemir09

Valued Member
Reaction score
el337 said:
That's the reason why I got two filters instead of one... in case one fails. But when looking at pictures of the 110, the basket seems significantly larger. Or maybe I should have gotten one 75 and one 55? Oh well... too late. lol
For my 30-40 gallon tank (still deciding on size) which one do you recommend, I have heard people saying that the larger models produce a lot of noise. Do you think I should also go for two 55s instead of a 110 or 75? One on each end, or not? How did you do yours?

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh, I haven't heard that about the larger filters being noisier. I don't think you can go wrong with getting either two or just one larger filter.

I have one on each end.

barandemir09

Valued Member
Reaction score
el337 said:
Oh, I haven't heard that about the larger filters being noisier. I don't think you can go wrong with getting either two or just one larger filter.

I have one on each end.
Does that create a whirlpool? I want to either have it on one side or put the 2 against each other

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well, if you go with two (or even just one), the great thing about these is that you can adjust the flow if you think it's too strong.

barandemir09

Valued Member
Reaction score
el337 said:
Well, if you go with two (or even just one), the great thing about these is that you can adjust the flow if you think it's too strong.
Yeah I like that. I checked the prices, and the 110 is cheaper than the two 55s... the two 55s will cost about $15 more than the 110

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom