New Saltwater Tank!

FishLoverEmma0

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay, so I've been in love with saltwater since I knew that fish keeping existed. I work at a fish store that sells only saltwater fish and does not make profit, all money goes back into the store, (so we will give you true info and we don't try to force your money into our pockets). I was wondering if there are some cheap(er) ways to start and cycle a new tank, probably just a 10 gal, just for keeping clowns and maybe a few hermits and maybe some star polyps. Coral is an iffy though. I don't mind the hard work, as I am used to caring for about 15 tanks at a time. I can with ease care for a lionfish and even some of the more advanced species, like mandarins. but for now I'm just sticking to one of my still favs, the occelaris family. Anyone know a cheap way to set up a 10 gal salt? (Without a sump if possible, but if neccesary I can buy a another set up for a sump)

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
10 Gallons IMHO is really pushing it for a pair of clowns to keep them happy long term. A 20 gallon Long FOWLR setup would be a better option as the clowns will be happier long term and it gives you the option to add another couple of smaller fish. Keep in mind that many clowns these days are captive bred and tend to be more active swimmers, rather than wild caught ones which tend to stake out a territory and stick to it. This video covers the cost of setting up a 20 gallon long FOWLR for relatively cheap ($362-$415 is what it runs to get you to the point where you can add fish, although if you work at a store you might be able to get some equipment even cheaper). The only things the vid misses is the 10-20lbs of sand (if you want a sand burrowing fish) and a $5-$7 Digital thermometer.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh incidentally if you want an idea of how active captive bred clowns can be, here is a vid of my 1.5 inch snowflake occ clownfish in my 36 gallon bowfront:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom