New Saltwater Tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by Cianball1, Apr 17, 2017.

1. C

Cianball1 New Member Member

Hi I currently have a 150l freshwater tank. I am planning to convert this to a saltwater tank with a aqua One external filter along with live rock. Am I able to seed the filter with the filtermedia currently running in the freshwater filters. I have biomax rings running in two fluval u3 filters.

2. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

Hello.

Yes you can seed it this way. I confirmed this with Seachem and also with my own experience. Good luck with the new set-up!

3. SecretiveFish

SecretiveFish Well Known Member Member

You will be providing organic material to start a cycle by doing that, but you will not be 'seeding' since all the bacteria will die. Different types of bacteria thrive in freshwater versus saltwater aquariums.

Good luck!

4. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

@SecretiveFish I don't think all the bacteria dies off. Yes different types of bacteria thrive in freshwater and saltwater, but it's also like Mollies can thrive in fresh and saltwater.

Anywho, when I asked Seachem about using their bio-media that was cycled in freshwater to saltwater, they said it would help speed up the cycling process. So with a combination of the cycled bio-media and live rock, it was a quick cycle and I was ready to fully stock the tank with no issues handling the bio-load.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice