New Saltwater Tank Cloudy

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by ca13816, Dec 27, 2012.

1. ca13816New MemberMember

I just set up my saltwater tank last night and the water is extremely cloudy. It's so bad you can see 3 inches through it. Is this normal for a newly established tank? How long does it take to clear up?

2. fishaddiction

fishaddictionValued MemberMember

If the tank has sand on the bottom and you poured the water onto the sand or vice versu you pour the sand into the water. It will be very cloudy after a while (mine took 17 hours for it to become a little fuzzy) once it is just a little fuzzy such as you can see details on the rock but it isn't crystal clear activate the filter and it should get rid of the rest.

3. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi, welcome to Fishlore :;hi2

Yep, fishaddiction is correct, pouring water directly onto the sand can cause cloudiness. Another cause can be the type of sand. Aragonite sand that is high in calcium can also cause cloudiness. All perfectly normal, and will generally subside and settle after a day or two. There's no need to add anything to clear it up, it will settle on its own.

4. OP
    OP
    c

ca13816New MemberMember

that must have been the problem. I tried to pour the water slowly but it is really fine sand so thats what happend... my power heads being on probably didnt help much either but I turned those off and its starting to clear up now

5. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

That's a good result.
    Can you adjust the flow on your powerheads? Or just run one? That way you keep the water moving just enough to keep the salt mixed well ;) Other than that, just a little patience, and you'll be crystal clear.

6. Reefdweller

ReefdwellerValued MemberMember

I just went through this and I am a very impatient person but my tank looked like a sewer. It has been up for 3 weeks and is just now getting nice and clear. I noticed yesterday how clear it was and the colors of the live rocks are coming out so it is really looking good. I did the same thing by pouring the water into the sand and I tried to do it easy but its impossible without stirring it all up. One thing I did is purchase polishing material - cut to fit filter padding is all it is but its very tight woven so it cleans the water very well as it passes through it. I cut a small piece and tucked it in around my "sponge" - this is the first point where the water runs into my filter (JBJ nano 28 gallon) its like a baby wet/dry. But I used those and would change them about every day. Each time I changed it the once white pad was yellowish brown so it was getting the goup. However, by it still taking 3 weeks to be clear I am not sure how well this helped it along.

7. OP
    OP
    c

ca13816New MemberMember

well I ended up just turning them off and it cleared up a little bit and today I went and bought a penguin 350 for the tank (3x the power of what the tank volume is... its for 90 gallon tanks and Im only running about 23 gallons with all the sand and rock in there) but since thats been in there its running and clearing up wonderfully

8. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002Valued MemberMember

Like everyone else has said, When I started my SW tank it was very cloudy for about a day until all the sand settled :) i just kept any powerheads and pumps off until then

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice