New saltwater biocube 32 build

Tallen78

Morning y’all last night I acquired a biocube 32 off a friend who has had it for yrs but never set it up so it’s brand new and from my understanding it’s a saltwater tank so it’s safe to say I’m soon to be starting my first saltwater reef tank does anyone know anything about this set up is there anything else I will need to get it going and pretty much any help and info about the whole world of saltwater aquariums I have freshwater set ups a few thru out my house so I’m not green to keep fish but I have no idea how to even start with this I plan on posting my progress once I start and will appreciate any and all help info and input

jmaldo

Following

Good Luck.

Rcslade124

There's a great guide on setting up a saltwater tank. Best advice is lots of research.

Tallen78

There's a great guide on setting up a saltwater tank. Best advice is lots of research.
Yes I’ve been reading up on saltwater tanks for a while now and was mostly wondering about this tank I have a biocube 32 is it ok as is or should I make changes to it and the water is another big issue where do I get it from not sure if I will be setting up some kind of RODI system cause I definitely will not buy the water way to expensive so any advice or suggestions will help a ton

Rcslade124

It will be on a smaller end but definitely not a bad tank. I recommend an ato that small amount of water could have salinity swings. Rodi isn't as big of an issue as it seems. I got a 6 stage 150gpd on eBay for 120$ a TDS meter will be needed to test tap water and rodi water. A 32g biocube. You won't need as high of a need as me.

FishBoy101

Just a heads up, freshwater requires much less water than saltwater, I don't know anything but saltwater fish have to be in larger tanks than normal freshwater and need to be under stocked(very) compared to freshwater.

Tallen78

It will be on a smaller end but definitely not a bad tank. I recommend an ato that small amount of water could have salinity swings. Rodi isn't as big of an issue as it seems. I got a 6 stage 150gpd on eBay for 120$ a TDS meter will be needed to test tap water and rodi water. A 32g biocube. You won't need as high of a need as me.
I have a tds digital meter and a refractometer they also came with the tank can I use tap water and just mix salt in

Just a heads up, freshwater requires much less water than saltwater, I don't know anything but saltwater fish have to be in larger tanks than normal freshwater and need to be under stocked(very) compared to freshwater.
I’m probably going to do a reef tank with two or three fish only

Rcslade124

No tap water. In the long run you will build up nutrients that will grow algea. So it isn't advisable especially a reef tank. Depending on your TDS in tap water and if you have chlorine or chloramine. This will depend on the rodi you need.

I advise getting a rodi with 10 inch filters so you can enter change the filters. If you have low tap TDS and chlorine you can go with a simple setup like a 4 stage. But you can get a 6 stage for 120 on eBay. That's a sediment filter. 2 carbon blocks. Ro filter and 2 di resins. That will filter most all water. It's a bullet to just bite and you will save yourself money in water and stress with algea. I am about to turn my 6 stage into an 8 stage and add another ro filter to my waste line then 2 di resins and make almost double the water. But it's a 100$ upgrade

Tallen78

I advise getting a rodi with 10 inch filters so you can enter change the filters. If you have low tap TDS and chlorine you can go with a simple setup like a 4 stage. But you can get a 6 stage for 120 on eBay. That's a sediment filter. 2 carbon blocks. Ro filter and 2 di resins. That will filter most all water. It's a bullet to just bite and you will save yourself money in water and stress with algea. I am about to turn my 6 stage into an 8 stage and add another ro filter to my waste line then 2 di resins and make almost double the water. But it's a 100$ upgrade
Do u keep water on hand or make it when u need it is this set up something I can hook up to a sink and remove it when I’m done

Rcslade124

Most rodi can be hooked up to the sink and taken down when not needed. Mine is connected to the hose outside 24/7. I make around 15 gallons of rodi and use it for 2 weeks for top off and make 30 gallons of new saltwater for water changes. Brs suggest making water for a month in advance. That's both salt and rodi. So 32 biocube u will do 3-6 Gallon water change a week or biweekly. So if you had a 32g brute can fill it with rodi. Mix salt in that's over a month or water changes. I have around 150 gallons so I have been doing 20% water change a week I would need a way bigger storage container. I am slowly going to start trying 15 gallon weekly so I will have 2 weeks of water changes. Watch bulk reek supply you tube videos on water storage mixing salt. Also the 5 minute guide to setting up a reef tank by BRS. It will help with many questions

Tallen78

Sounds doable so I’m looking for a 4-6 stage portable RODI system and two 32g containers is there any other equipment I will need to get the water started

Rcslade124

Not for water no. Most rodi systems come with filters. What's your tap TDS? Do you know if chloramine is used? I could get away with a much lower stage of rodi my tap is 65 TDS. But I got the system not sure where I was in tds

Tallen78

Not for water no. Most rodi systems come with filters. What's your tap TDS? Do you know if chloramine is used? I could get away with a much lower stage of rodi my tap is 65 TDS. But I got the system not sure where I was in tds
When I get home I will test and let u know

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
guthrieb08
30 Gallon Tank Newbie with a biocube 32
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
kanzekatores