New rosy barb in my tank

Chiasmodon

Just bought gold 9 rosies.. And kept them in my planted tank.. Im new to this fish.. The only thing I know is that they can grow 3 inches and 6 inches in the wild. the petstore manager told me that they can be kept with plants..but Now they show a little interest to my wisteria and start nibbling it which is a bad sign so I will also add veggies to their diet that will avoid them nibbling plants.. I hope. I got other fish that also eat plants before but now i rarely see them eating plants now, before i feed them with veggies

Is this was another mistake i made? because pet manager says they wont eat plants.. And just believe what she told me..

Is it giving them veggies like cucumbers will help? Has anyone of you guys fixed this problem? :(

Aquaticguy

I don't really know if it will stop them permanently. But it should probably make them nibble less on the plant. I had no experience so Idk tbh.

Chiasmodon

I don't really know if it will stop them permanently. But it should probably make them nibble less on the plant. I had no experience so Idk tbh.
After feedinf them, they stopped nibbling.. And stay in the middle of the tank. I hope it will stay that way. I love my wisteria

A201

It's been quite a while since I kept Rosy Barbs, but remember that they did not eat Anubias or the Java Fern. The Rosy's did graze on algae.
The males become intensely colorful when exhibiting mating behavior. They are a very durable species.

Chiasmodon

It's been quite a while since I kept Rosy Barbs, but remember that they did not eat Anubias or the Java Fern. The Rosy's did graze on algae.
The males become intensely colorful when exhibiting mating behavior. They are a very durable species.
Oooh.. Mine is the gols variant and ye.. I just learned something new.

Anyways.. do you have other plants in the same tank where you kept the rosies ?

A201

I kept only low light plants, Anubias & Java fern w/ Rosy Barbs.

V1K

My rosy barbs eat some plants, but leave most of them alone. Definitely not even looking at vals. Plants that they did eat were willow moss, Pogostemon helferi and stargrass - completely eradicated those 3. Currently my tank has spiral vallisnerias, cryptocorine wendtii, Java moss, Java fern, African fern, nymphoides, bucephalandras, ludwigias, and pearlweed. The only plant that in a way suffers from rosy barbs is the pearlweed, but not because they eat it, but because being active as heck they keep uprooting some of it. The rest are completely unaffected by the barbs.

The vegetable which I often feed them and they love it is deshelled frozen peas. They also like cauliflower, brocolli and blanched spinach. I tried offering them blanched zuccini and cucumber, they hardly nibbled on it.

Chiasmodon

I kept only low light plants, Anubias & Java fern w/ Rosy Barbs.
Oh ok. So the resistant plants.. I wish i succesfully grow java fern.. They all died several months ago.. Except a single rhyzome that has a surviving plantlet.
My rosy barbs eat some plants, but leave most of them alone. Definitely not even looking at vals. Plants that they did eat were willow moss, Pogostemon helferi and stargrass - completely eradicated those 3. Currently my tank has spiral vallisnerias, cryptocorine wendtii, Java moss, Java fern, African fern, nymphoides, bucephalandras, ludwigias, and pearlweed. The only plant that in a way suffers from rosy barbs is the pearlweed, but not because they eat it, but because being active as heck they keep uprooting some of it. The rest are completely unaffected by the barbs.
Hahah.. I have no probs with fish in terms of uproooting plants.. But my bulldozing squad does it (my apple snails)..

My rosies loves to hangout where the bushy wisteria is placed... It looks like they established a territory there.. But i hope these guys wont eat all my wisteria.. Now im feeding them cucumbers but.. They are staying away from the veggie.. They are probably scared of my adult 3 spotted gouramis nibbling the veggie i provided.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
MistaJones
Replies
Views
Peacefantasy
Replies