new root tab available

Discussion in 'Misc. Reviews' started by Nate McFin, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Nate McFinWell Known MemberMember

A few months ago I needed to replace my root tabs for my plants. I came across a thread on plantedtank.net of a guy who was looking for "testers" for his root capsules he was planning on selling. He was unhappy with the other root tabs because they didnt contain enough of the Macro Nutrients (Nitrogen, Potassium, and Phospourous) so he decided to have these made specifically for our aquatic plant needs. I have used Seachem Tabs since my tank was started but I was intrigued by his thread so I volunteered. the results were outstanding and growth far exceeded the Seachem tabs.

After 2 week of having them under my root feeders, my plants have just gone wild. The H. Difformis has had baby runners popping up out of the substrate and the main plant has grown 3". Even the slow growers like crypts have had an enormous amount of growth.

I cant say enough about these tabs and I will be purchasing more in the future. If you are in need of tabs check them out! All nutrients are listed on his website as well.
    He also sells aquascaping tools much cheaper than the ADA varieties. (Who pays $79.00 for scissors!!##!#@)

I just wanted to let everyone know of another option out there!
    -nate

2. SuaveValued MemberMember

AWESOME!!! thanks for the heads up! I will definitely be looking into these[:

3. Nate McFinWell Known MemberMember

If you use the coupon code "plantedtank" you can get 25 "complete tabs" (iron, calcium, MG Etc. as well as , N,P,K) ,10 NPK caps, and a pair of bent tip tweezers for a bit less than 19.00 including shipping. Coupon code ends today I believe.
    This is the link for that special...

Dont forget the coupon code in checkout to save 10%

4. NutterFishlore VIPMember

I love those N-P-K numbers. I also like the dissolving capsule but does it leave any traces of anything in the water? I don't think I'll be getting them shipped to Aus in any great hurry but maybe I can adapt the capsule idea to my own diy substrate tabs I've been experimenting with. With some luck I'll start seeing them pop up on the LFS shelves before too long.

5. SuaveValued MemberMember

quick question actually, since I'm COMPLETELY new to the whole live planted tank idea, how do these things work? you just use some tweezers and stick them in the gravel?

6. Nate McFinWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, the NPK was the big seller for me too. I haven't noticed changes in water params or anything. I have a larger pebble type substrate so I was concerned about leaching as well but I was assured it would work fine and it has. They are supposed to last longer than Seachem as well but that remains to be seen. I did not use them across the entire tank as his website suggested but instead just put them around my root feeders.

EDIT- Push them into the substrate under root feeders and make sure they are covered well with gravel...especially if you use larger substrate like I do.

7. SuaveValued MemberMember

root feeders meaning any plant that is actually rooting in the substrate right? sorry if this is a dumb question :confused:

8. Nate McFinWell Known MemberMember

No such thing as a dumb question...;D
    YEs plants that are in the substrate...swords,crypts, wisteria, to name a few. Some stem plants like Rotala tend to feed more from the leaf than the root but they would still benefit from them as well.

9. SuaveValued MemberMember

alright awesome[: sounds like its worth a try! What size tank did you test these in? and how many did you use at a time??

10. Nate McFinWell Known MemberMember

20G- I used 10 but it would depend on how heavy your tank is planted. I would use one (maybe two if larger) per plant.

11. SuaveValued MemberMember

alright. sounds good. and how long do they last do you think?

12. navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

Awesome I will be getting this for now on. Thanks Nate.

13. GamerWell Known MemberMember

Thanks alot. I was JUST ABOUT to order some Flourish tabs but I am going to give these a shot. Sound good!

14. SuaveValued MemberMember

Ordered mine[: can't wait to try them out!

15. djbristValued MemberMember

Ordered....Thanks Nate!

16. Nate McFinWell Known MemberMember

I am glad to see some of you decided to try these out! If you guys could post a review of the tweezers when you get them I would sure appreciate it!

17. SuaveValued MemberMember

what would you like to know about the tweezers? haha i got all my stuff maybe 3 days ago. the tweezers are great haha, if you want maybe i could take a pic of them. they seem pretty good quality[: i cant wait to see the effects of the tabs

18. Nate McFinWell Known MemberMember

I just wanted to know what the quality was like...glad to hear they are decent. I hate cheap tools!
    Do let us know how they work out for you as well.

19. SuaveValued MemberMember

well im not sure exactly what is considered good quality for tweezers.. haha but they seem pretty nice haha. definitely not from a dollar store;]

20. navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

Just want to share that I just ordered this root caps and to tell you guys that the coupon code is still valid for a $2.10 discount so you get the tabs and the tweezers for less than $19.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice