New reverse osmosis system not working

abbytherookiehuman

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i bought a portable 3 stage reverse osmosis filter off ebay. probably not the best decision. stage1; inline carbon filter, stage 2; RO membrane, stage 3;inline mixed resin deionising post membrane filter.
the water doesnt even get to stage 3 because 100% of the water is coming out of the waste water valve from the RO membrane.
does anybody know why this might be happening? what would happen if i just took out the RO membrane all together. i know that sounds stupid but what would just the other two do?

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it is not going through the RO membrane, there is a pressure problem. You say waste water "valve". If there is a valve, close it down to back up the pressure against the membrane. Also, the incoming pressure needs to be adequate. Most home systems operate at about 40-45 lbs. of pressure. Much less than that and it simply doesn't have enough force to get water through the membrane.

Jerome O'Neil

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Then you have a problem with the hoselink, not the resin.

RO Units have to be under pressure to work, and generally work better at higher pressures. My house pressure is about 35psi. I have a pump that boosts it to about 70psi.

New Threads