New Residents For 10g?

Kerina
I have a 10 g tank that is running for a year now. Sadly it'll need a new resident soon, because my betta has dropsy and I do not expect him to make it. It is a sand bottom moderately to heavy planted low tech tank.

I want some fish that is personable and interactive, and so far I reduced the list to three choices, other then an new betta:
  1. dario group
  2. peacock gudgeon group
  3. pea puffers.

People who have experience with these fish, would you call them personable and interactive?

Galathiel
I have not kept them, but aren't dario darios usually quite shy?

Mary765
I love pea puffers!! Absolutely adore the little guys, But they are quite high care levels for their size, do you think you could handle it?

May I also recommend guppies? The little guys each have a personality of their own.

ladylouroll
dario dependant on which type can be quite aggressive the males set up territories and having plenty of plants to break line of sight are also needed. can also be fussy eaters.

imo peacock gudgeons would get too big to have a group in a 10 gallon tank, but they are not a fish ive had a lot to do with so others may answer different here.

pea puffers are awesome! I used to have a trio in my 12g again they can be a bit nippy to eachother if enough hiding places etc are not provided and also need lots of live/frozen food as that's all that's usually accepted.

all lovely fish though!

ladylouroll
oh and of course pest snails are a favourite of the pea puffers!

Mary765
oh and of course pest snails are a favourite of the pea puffers!

I'm currently letting my 5 gallon become overrun with pest snails and their eggs in prep for when my little puffer gets in there (I will remove as many as I can before letting my puffer loose in there so I can feed him later)

Kerina
I have not kept them, but aren't dario darios usually quite shy?
That is my question if they are, after they will get used to the tank.

imo peacock gudgeons would get too big to have a group in a 10 gallon tank, but they are not a fish ive had a lot to do with so others may answer different here.

pea puffers are awesome! I used to have a trio in my 12g again they can be a bit nippy to eachother if enough hiding places etc are not provided and also need lots of live/frozen food as that's all that's usually accepted.

all lovely fish though!
The 10 g recommendations thread says you can have two pairs in it.

I know about live/frozen requerments food for the puffers. I have room to set up a snail bowl for them and I can put shrimp culls to the puffers.

As for line of sight breaking, I think my tank is planted enough for it. This is december's photo, there was more growth.
20171217_195424.jpeg

ladylouroll
@Kerina
I have never really found dario dario to be shy, sure they take a day of two to suss the tank, compared to pea puffers they aren't as interactive with the keeper but I more had problems with them chasing my bumblebee gobys. Dario Hysginon ive heard is ment to be the better for community tanks because they are a bit more laid back and also females are ment to be more available. they are the only 2 I really no much about.

Ah fair enough, the couple I had before just got quite big so would of thought 10 gallon would be a tad on the small side (unless it was for breeding) I guess they are overly active fish though. they are lovely colours though.

Looks like an awesome tank for some pea puffers, good choices on plants too! do you think that is the path youl choose?

Kerina
Looks like an awesome tank for some pea puffers, good choices on plants too! do you think that is the path youl choose?
Thanks.
I still do not know who Ill end up getting. As for puffers I just realized that I will not be able to keep my cleaning crew (amanos+nerites) with them, so making it a puffer tank will make it into much more maintenance on top of puffer feeding difficulties. Now only maintenance I need to do there is to suck out amano poop once it becomes too much of eyesore.

Humanartrebel1020
Shrimp

ladylouroll
Thanks.
I still do not know who Ill end up getting. As for puffers I just realized that I will not be able to keep my cleaning crew (amanos+nerites) with them, so making it a puffer tank will make it into much more maintenance on top of puffer feeding difficulties. Now only maintenance I need to do there is to suck out amano poop once it becomes too much of eyesore.

ah I see you issue there. both the dario and the peacocks will eat the shrimp eggs and likely shrimplets (if they make it to that size) but they should leave the adults alone. so if your hoping to breed the shrimp you may want to rethink. if not then great

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
coribirdie
Replies
Views
ruud
Replies
Views
AnyaJ
2 3 4
Replies