New Rescue Betta, Am I Missing Anything? Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by LagerthaM, Apr 25, 2019.

1. LagerthaMValued MemberMember

So, earlier today an acquaintance of mine gave me her betta because she can't take care of it for the summer. I don't think there is anything wrong with him, but I wanted to double check with you guys first. Most of the pictures I am posting of him are from when he was acclimating and put back in his tank setup so he is flaring and has clamped fins from stress. I am a little worried about how small he is, he is barely an inch long and his fins are kind of short and I can't tell if it is fin rot. He is moving around fine and is eating. Also, his previous owner only fed him once every two days, will that affect him negatively and does that maybe have something to do with how small he is?

Tank Setup:
    This is all temporary and is the setup his previous owner gave me. I plan to buy him a new proper tank setup this weekend.

Tank size:
    -I don't actually know but I do know it is one of those gods awful tiny "betta" tanks they sell at PetCo, I will include a link:  

Stocking
    - One male betta fish
    - About a cup of different kinds of aquarium gravel I had on hand and a fake plastic plant.

Water Parameters:
    -I have the temperature steady at about 78, he doesn't have a heater YET but it will be one of the first things I buy.
    -I treated the water for chlorine with Tetra Safe Start, I did not have time to cycle, sadly.
    -The Ph is at 7 ish and I don't know what his Nitrites and Nitrates are because I ran out of those test strips.

Attached Files:

2. upinakValued MemberMember

Feeding him something decent will help. Not sure if he has fin rot, but until you get him in something a little larger, he may not be as active.

All you can do is replace and wait and see.

3. Madison LawsonValued MemberMember

How long did your friend have him before? He may not be fully grown. It doesn't look like he has fin rot, but his fins have pale white, translucent ends that usually means he is growing new tissue. I agree that he should be fed more often and a varied diet. I would also keep an eye on him to see if his color gets an brighter.

4. NoroomforshoeValued MemberMember

If she was not maintaing the tank the best, not doing weekly partial water changes, the tank not having a good filter... Then feedin him everyother day was good. Fish in the wild dont eat every day, You can feed him every day now if you want to. Get a variety of stuff including frozen blood worms and frozen daphnia if you can find it. But overfeeding is more unhealthy then underfeeding. Be carefull to feed very small amounts! get liquid test kits, I recomend Sallifert testers.

5. Peter MValued MemberMember