New Red Plants- Where Should They Go?and I Have A Mix Of Stratum And Ecocomplete For Substrate

Yecats75

image.jpg I have my very first red plants on their way. They are hygrophila cordata, red tiger lily (just a bulb), and 3 less-demanding Bucephalandra- red mini, Kedagang original, and black marble (I’m super nervous about trying buces- I’m all ears if you have advice). I’ll begin dosing iron when I add them to the tank.

I’m pretty happy with the scape, except I fell short of the rule of thirds, and my current focal point, the Anubias on driftwood, is a little too much left. I was thinking a nice red plant, maybe the hygro cordata could go in the back, then a couple buces on the rocks in front, hopefully bringing the focal point a bit to the right.

I’ve got some Rotala Indica I think will redden with iron, and then I’ll have my tiger bulb and another buce to place... what would y’all do? I’m fully open to a completely different idea too, and I’ll move a few plants around, but I don’t want to rescape the wh thing- I’ve torn it up too many times already and I feel like the plants just need a minute to grow.

I’m just using NilocG and Envy 3x week, and of course the iron supplement is coming.

* Haha substrate was supposed to be next, but is somehow in the title- little glitch I guess!

nikm128

I would put something up in the back a bit right of the center by the filter intake. That spot looks a little empty/dull to me if you don't mind me saying

yinoma2001

I like it! What are you floating on top by the way? I'm looking for some floaters...

Samanthaljay

I love your tank! I have no advise, just wanted to comment on how lovely it is

Yecats75

I would put something up in the back a bit right of the center by the filter intake. That spot looks a little empty/dull to me if you don't mind me saying
Agreed, and thank you for the feedback! I have some wisteria behind that rock but it’s way too short to be seen yet. I was thinking to pull my tallest wisteria to that corner and use a red in its space, just right of the driftwood. Thoughts?

Yecats75

I like it! What are you floating on top by the way? I'm looking for some floaters...
It’s mostly frogbit, but I have some of Rtessys red root floaters in there too. They look healthy but lost the red in my tank. I’m hoping the iron supplement brings it back!

nikm128

Since it has to be taller than the rocks to be seen, I'd move your taller plants to the back and shorter ones up front. That tends to give the tank more depth too

Yecats75

Hey also I dunno what kind of tank you have, but mine is acrylic and has a wide edge/top lip. I used suction cups on the top with beading wire to corral the floaters. I tried lots of ways but this is working the best. The other thing keeping them still is the willow hygro on the left. It skims the top and the hanging roots of the frogbit stick in the leaves. I love how it looks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 83

Yecats75

Since it has to be taller than the rocks to be seen, I'd move your taller plants to the back and shorter ones up front. That tends to give the tank more depth too
Yep I just recently topped them off and the replacements I bought weren’t tall enough. Aye the problems... patience is not my best virtue!

Yecats75

image.jpg OH BOY!!!

nikm128

What's that?

Samanthaljay

Hey also I dunno what kind of tank you have, but mine is acrylic and has a wide edge/top lip. I used suction cups on the too with beading wire to corral the floaters. I tried lots of ways but this is working the best. The other thing keeping them still is the willow hygro on the left. It skims the top and the hanging roots of the frogbit stick in the leaves. I love how it looks!

so the beading wire is actually in the water holding them 'in place'? if so you can't even tell! (I am a plant newbie but love learning tricks of the trade)

Yecats75

Yep
so the beading wire is actually in the water holding them 'in place'? if so you can't even tell! (I am a plant newbie but love learning tricks of the trade)
it’s barely touching.

nikm128

Nice!

-Mak-

Since you know about the rule of thirds, try to place the red plants somewhere off-center, one or two thirds along the back. However make sure it gets a the most light possible in this position, redness is caused by high light

CaptAnnDuchow

Hey also I dunno what kind of tank you have, but mine is acrylic and has a wide edge/top lip. I used suction cups on the top with beading wire to corral the floaters. I tried lots of ways but this is working the best. The other thing keeping them still is the willow hygro on the left. It skims the top and the hanging roots of the frogbit stick in the leaves. I love how it looks!
Great idea I will be stealing.

Pescado_Verde

Great looking tank! I had to think for a minute what you meant by "beading wire", duh! That's a good idea, I would not have thought of that. My floaters, Brazilian Pennywort, end up on the side of the tank opposite of where the water from the filter comes in. I like the 'scape, you did well!

Yecats75

Since you know about the rule of thirds, try to place the red plants somewhere off-center, one or two thirds along the back. However make sure it gets a the most light possible in this position, redness is caused by high light
Thanks! That’s what I’m planning. I was really trying NOT to move everything AGAIN, but my frogbit is going bonkers and I made the mistake of placing the Anubias, my lowest light plant, in the area that gets the most light. I have 3 buces left to receive, so I think I’m gonna try to adjust some plant placement, and corral the frogbit just to one side so my Anubias is under it but the rest of the plants aren’t so shaded. If I’m happy with it after I’ll post a picture.

Yecats75

Great looking tank! I had to think for a minute what you meant by "beading wire", duh! That's a good idea, I would not have thought of that. My floaters, Brazilian Pennywort, end up on the side of the tank opposite of where the water from the filter comes in. I like the 'scape, you did well!
I tried everything! Picture hanging wire was too heavy, air tubing was too bulky, and fishing line only floated for 2-3 days. The beading wire allows you to get pretty specific about shape, and honestly it’ll sink too, but mounted across the top let me bend the wire to water level so that it just skims the surface. Finally!

Yecats75

Great idea I will be stealing.
Thank you! Necessity is the mother of invention!

Samanthaljay

you inspired me to add more plants to my tank. I am a newbie for sure but I picked up two small anubias plants and a pinwheel sword. I took a really cute video of my BN pleco discovering and approving of the new additions LOL but for some reason it won't let me attach it

Yecats75

you inspired me to add more plants to my tank. I am a newbie for sure but I picked up two small anubias plants and a pinwheel sword. I took a really cute video of my BN pleco discovering and approving of the new additions LOL but for some reason it won't let me attach it
I’m new too and I can’t claim much experience with plants, but I just buy a lot and see what works. I’ve killed plenty, but the more plants I’ve added, the more I’ve enjoyed the tank! The ones I have now are doing awesome... I’m hoping my first venture into some reds will be successful. Red really adds a whole other dimension to the tank imo, but I’ve been avoiding them until I had some success with the less demanding green plants. Good luck with your new ones!

Samanthaljay

I’m new too and I can’t claim much experience with plants, but I just buy a lot and see what works. I’ve killed plenty, but the more plants I’ve added, the more I’ve enjoyed the tank! The ones I have now are doing awesome... I’m hoping my first venture into some reds will be successful. Red really adds a whole other dimension to the tank imo, but I’ve been avoiding them until I had some success with the less demanding green plants. Good luck with your new ones!

They really do make quite a difference and I have a feeling when my tank is fully stocked I am going to be focusing more and more on plants. I am excited to see how yours turns out, you will have to keep us updated with the reds! they definitely are gorgeous. My LFS had quite a few when I picked mine out.

Yecats75

Hey so if anyone is interested, I’ve decided I have to remove some frogbit, and would be happy to share it if you pay shipping. It’s blocking too much light in my tank and it’s overcrowded to the point that it’s suffocating the plants that get pushed under the surface. I’m not getting rid of tons because I love it, but what I need to clean out is enough to make a difference in a smaller tank. Holler if you want some, but be warned I have snails and you might get a hitchhiker. Cheers!

Yecats75

E7C2D2B5-5658-4EEF-AE94-5062A0813762.jpeg Welp. Completely rescaped because I got this gorgeous manzanita for free. I mean, what’s a girl to do?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Yecats75
Replies
Views
Hehehehaw
Replies
Views
kolet66

Random Great Thread!

New Aquascaping Threads