New red claw crabs, food?

1. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

So i got 2 red claw crabs last week. Named them Mickey and Minnie. I have been researching like mad before and after getting them, but information is basic or vague. They came from the petstore in freshwater, and i asked how long these two had been at the store which was about 2 months. Apparently they are not too popular here. Which was lucky for me since the first hydrometer i got was broken, and i had to order a new one. So when that comes in they will get a gradual increase in salt to the appropriate level.

Ok the questions you are going to ask:

Yes they have land and water. I actually am using the black and blue caves i made a few years ago to keep the land up and the female has claimed the highest hole as her spot.

Yes filtered, heating is unnecesary at the moment, its stupid hot here so to save energy the house is kept at 78. When winter finally gloriously returns i will heat the tank.

Tank size right now is a 5.5, yes covered, and temporary while i prep a 20h for them.

My Questions:

If you have them what do you feed yours? Specifics would be helpful as almost everything i have found is "they eat anything" which so far i have foundto be inaccurate. The male will kinda nibble on a bloodworm but the female ignores them, same with any of the shrimp invert pellets i got from kensfish for my snails (i know they are yummy, the snails love them and i have to hide them from Jenks or he will eat them too) Honestly so far the only thing either are really munching on is fissidens and subwassertang. Which wasnt intentional on my part, some was attached to the java fern i put in there. And i think Minnie may have eaten a snail... lol. So food?

Anything else for now? Other than a larger tank to play in? And no, breeding is not on my mind, if they do they do but i think i read somewhere about a larval stage so dont think that will be an issue. I skipped over the breeding sections.

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I would go for a 20 gal long over a 20 gal high. They would appreciate the additional horizontal length over vertical height.

3. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

If i can find one i will, but for now i just want them out of the 5.5.

What about food?

4. Fishlover64 Initiate Member

Mine loves baby shrimp (the freeze dried ones), algae wafers, shrimp pellets, peas, and spinach. That's all have tried thus far. They also love uncooked fish but I haven't tried yet.

5. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

I found a freeze dried mix of different veggies, mealworms, wax worms, shrimp.. its a trial size so i rehydrated a bit of all of it and put some in so we will see. Also my petco gave me a piece of dried algae to see if they would eat that. I have some catfish i was going to cook in a few days maybe ill try a piece of that too.

6. Donnerwetter Initiate Member

I know this thread is old but want to tell my experience with crayfish, since there is NOT much info about them anywhere on the web.
    My crays eat peas (make sure they sink), blueberries, strawberries, cilantro, parsley (bundled and on a plastic clip stuck to glass surface), steamed carrots and every 3-4 days Blood Worms (Protein).
    They want nothing to do with algae or any type of shrimp.
    My crays are inland, cold freshwater crawdads.
    They love to explore at night so the more horizontal space you give them, the better.
    Copper seems to accumulate in their body so avoid any medicine that has ANY Copper in it, it will kill them at those levels.
    Also, heaters are not needed, only for breeding, unless the place you put them is below 50-40 degrees.
    Don't use big gravel, they prefer sand type substrate. Also, offer several hiding places for they will fight over the territory of the "best spot in the house".
    It's best to buy 2 of the same ornaments ( like hollow log) if you have 2 crayfish.
    I know this wasn't the question but I'm trying to put more info out there about these funny to watch creatures.
    Mine are named Ren and Stimpy.