New Red Cherry Shrimp Tank Advice Needed!

1. picolo003

picolo003 Valued Member Member

I am converting an established 10 gallon aquarium into an inverts only tank, which will contain mystery snails and RCS. I have recently changed the substrate from gravel to flourite dark. I also added a sponge filter, running with my HOB filter, which will eventually become the only filter once i feel it is fully seeded with beneficial bacteria. I have a large piece of Malaysian driftwood which I attached anubias nana petite and java fern too. I would like some advice on anything that is important or helpful to maintaining a RCS colony. Thanks

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Shrimplets get everywhere. Use a nylon stocking over your siphon and the HOB filter intake until it is removed.

The more plants, the merrier.

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Oh also, it probably won't happen but sometimes people don't realize how much food and meat mystery snails need, and sometimes they'll take bites of sick/ recently molted shrimp if they're not fed enough. Snails are extremely useful in shrimp tanks, but keep in mind mysteries need meat and won't eat once they've had enough food, unlike a lot of other animals.