New rcs tank, surely making mistakes already..

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Everythingzen, Dec 11, 2012.

1. EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

I want to move my two betta around so they're sharing a divided tank, and set up a permanent shrimp home in a 12 litre tank. I've got lots of questions though in the mean time, as I'm a little worried they are stressed and will not be entirely happy.

The filter currently is a HOB with quite a lot of disturbance. I've stuffed it with wadding but it's still turbulent. Would a much slower HOB be better? I want to keep both HOBs on both tanks rather than change to sponges. Neither have the room for sponges, and these HOBs are both filled with cycled media. I'm sure the bettas could handle the movement, but I'm not sure about these shrimp.

Do they benefit from an airstone? Or is water movement enough for them?

Temp is at 26c but it feels too cold to my hands. Not scientific, but it's just somehow cooler than other tanks. Do they like it even warmer? I'm tempted to turn it up to 28.

What's the bioload of shrimp? They seem very clean!

Thanks for any help :)

2. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

For your HOB filter, maybe place something under where the water cascades out to disrupt the flow? I don't know what you could use, maybe rocks or a plant? Just something that can handle the direct hit of water so it falls more softly/slowly into the tank.

As for bioload, they have very little. Just be aware of over-feeding. I overfed very badly in the first month as I was used to having fish and not shrimp, and they feed very differently.

I don't have an airstone. Mine is a cheapo Big W tank with a very low quality filter that drops in water from the top and creates a little bit of surface movement. Do you have a thermometer on your tank? If your heater is broken/malfunctioning then it might read different to the actual temp. Maybe insulate your tank somehow? I have had RCS successful in 22 - 28 depending on the time of year.

3. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I agree with Yeoy :) I know some betta owners have used a section of a plastic water bottle as a baffle to lessen the flow; maybe you could construct something like that? I had a sponge filter in my shrimp tank so I can't comment on how they deal with swift currents.

I DEFINITELY agree with the overfeeding. I'd feed once every couple of days, just a small amount, but enough would get into the gravel that planaria developed :( Luckily I used medicine to take care of it quickly, but I'm not sure if you could get it over there.

I did have an airstone technically but that's because I used a sponge filter. Mine was different than the ones you buy (I made mine) and the bubbles passed through the water column, aerating the water.

I had my shrimps in room temperature water, and they did fine. However, I have noticed that since moving them to my community tank (which is warmer) they're much redder. Not sure if the two are correlated, but it's possible. :) Mine went as low as roughly 20; it gets pretty cool in my apartment in the winter. I use an infrared temp gun to read the temperatures; I don't trust the reading on the heater at all. Mine tend to read a lot higher than the water temperature really is.

4. ToniaWell Known MemberMember

Great questions.. I also just recently set up a tank for some RCS. I am hoping they will make baby RCS for me. The lfs I went to was very nice and the owner gave me 5 RCS for free because he says they are very prolific breeders. I got them some micro sword and bacopa, some hornwort and some java moss and windelov java fern all harvested from the larger tank. They will also have a nice piece of driftwood when it's done releasing tannins in the bigger tank.

Mine are kept in warmer water with a sponge filter that has an air stone in it similar to Kinez's description.. also a suggestion from the lfs and they have already gotten very red and are quite interesting to watch. I keep them in a 5gallon hex tank next to my pc and watch them going about their little shrimp ways constantly.

Good luck with your new tank Zen!!

5. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

Shayla, those plants sound like a good combination for an RCS tank. I have quite a variety in mine and they all get used. If you have 1 female in there they will breed undoubtedly. I just had my first wave of shrimplets, 3 mummas dropped in the same few days. Got tinies everywhere!

6. ToniaWell Known MemberMember

I was just talking to my husband about adding some more plants for them.. and we are considering a few more shrimp when we go to the lfs possibly tomorrow.. addictive little things! How will I know if they are holding eggs? I could tell on ghost shrimp, of course, but these guys are so red.. and how do you sex them?

7. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

The more.plants the better as far as I am concerned. I am eary of getting new ones now incase mine get sick from them, depends on your LFS. The females should have a yellow (sometimes green) "saddle" on their back which is basically their ova. Once they have mated, the saddle swings down under the back half of their body. If you look in the RCS forum on here there are some good pics. Some people cam sex by bodyshape and colour but I just go off the eggs.

8. ToniaWell Known MemberMember

I'm very lucky for plants at my new home.. the lfs I love most has the plants isolated from his fish in aquariums of their own. I really like that, and he works hard to keep from ending up with snails.. other than MTS, I would rather not have an excessive snail population.

I think, thanks to this forum that I have a couple females and a male.. they were all quite young with the small red spots when I got them.

I was also thinking of getting some more moss into the tank.. have a pretty large bundle of java moss in my 29g aquarium, but I'm hoping to find them some Weeping moss or Christmas moss... what about Anacharis? do shrimps like that?

9. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

My shrimp like all my plants... A big Sword, java fern, duckweed. But the moss is the favourite.

10. EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

Thanks yeoy and kinezumi! I'm glad you are getting help too, shayla :)

Couple of other questions.. I've seen folk using a dish for feeding. Why is this done? I've got a fluval shrimp food that floats for ages. I assume the shrimp forage once it finally sinks. Do they like a feeding location? What foods apart from this do they like? Will glass shrimp help clean up food? Are they veggie eaters?

I've turned the temp up a couple of degrees and now I see them more, so I guess they like it or are settled in more now!

Thanks guys.

11. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

I am getting a feeding dish for mine. It just makes clean up/vacuuming easier I assume. But my RCS and ramshorns find pellets anywhere. Mine colour slightly better in warmer water too and seem more active.

A small bit of zucchini is good, but only leave it in a few hours then tale the unfinished out. Otherwise it will rot and foul the water. I have mever mixed shrimp but I would be wary. Some types can interbreed and produce plain/brown offspring. Others can attack the RCS. There should be a thread on here about RCS compatibility with other shrimp.

12. FoulFishesValued MemberMember

RCS and Ghost Shrimp won't interbreed. But, do keep in mind that some Ghost Shrimp can be predatory, especially once they get bigger than the RCS. Amano Shrimp will get bigger too. Both my Amano Shrimp and Ghost Shrimp will pick up pellets on the substrate and walk away from my Kuhli Loaches to eat it all themselves.

13. EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

I've got shrimplets! Well, at least two tiny, bitty little miniature shrimp that are a colourless version of the adults. I'm assuming shrimplets are a sign they're happy?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice