New Rcs Molted, Is This Normal?

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by Dori.anne, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Dori.anne

Dori.anne Valued Member Member

I just got 6 RCS Sunday (3 days ago). They are in a cycled 10 gallon with 2 nerite snails (for now).
    One of the females came already berried. Today I noticed two of them had molted. I took a pic of the exoskeletons, and when I looked at it later it looks like a couple of eggs may have come off with the exoskeleton.
    Here's the picture:

[​IMG]

Is that what it looks like to you?

Is this normal? Do you think it indicates stress? Do they normally molt when carrying eggs?
    I have no idea which ones actually molted. I was able to find all 6 after the molt.
    Later (after the molt) I was able to take a phone video of the berried female and when I zoom in it looks like she still has eggs.

Here is a screenshot from that video [​IMG]

Basically, I'm just trying to figure out if they are adjusting in the tank, or if something might be wrong. As far as I can tell they act fine, but this is my first shrimp experience.
    My plan was to get some celestial pearl danios for the tank this weekend, if all goes well with the shrimp.

Thanks!

Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate <5, ph 7.8

2. Seyff

Seyff Valued Member Member

A change in water can induce molting. It does look like she still has eggs.

Good luck!

3. FISHY TAILS

FISHY TAILS Valued Member Member

I see you went for the cherries. ;) looks good.

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I love cherries! They're the best IMO.

I never have had them, lol. But I plan to do so in my 29 gal.

5. OP
    OP
    Dori.anne

Yup! Just replied to your comment on my older post with a big long update. Red Queen's Army!!

6. OP
    OP
    Dori.anne

They are really fun so far! I don't want to work, I just want to watch the shrimp. :). (this tank is at the library where I work).

7. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Haha, well that sounds enjoyable. I've had Ghost Shrimp before. Cherries are much nicer!

8. Kiks

Kiks Well Known Member Member

When buying RCS and other shrimp it is very common for them to molt within the first week or so. Female RCS don't molt when berried, so I'm guessing that the exoskeletons are not from a berried one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice